Deadline nears for hunt lottery

    Oregonians have two weeks left to apply for the roughly 141,000 deer, elk, pronghorn and other big-game tags offered through the annual controlled hunt lottery used to mete out these tags.

    The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission next month will tentatively set the tag numbers for these limited-entry seasons in time for the random computer draw for these tags in June.

    Applications cost $8 per hunt series, and hunters need to buy an annual hunting license, which can be purchased during the application process, according to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.

    The available hunts are listed in the 2015 Oregon Big Game Regulations booklet available online and at most sporting goods stores.

    Oregonians new to, or confused by, the controlled-hunt application process can view the ODFW’s new four-part seminar on YouTube (

    Local ODFW biologists have not proposed any new hunts in the region for 2016, but the agency will be in Medford Thursday to gather input on tag numbers for 2015 and new hunts for 2016.

    The meeting will be in conjunction with the Rogue Valley chapter meeting of the Oregon Hunters Association. An ODFW presentation on the proposals is scheduled for 7 p.m., followed by public comments.

    The meeting will be held at the Eagles Club, 2000 Table Rock Road.

    Family fishing event slated for Grants Pass

    The Rogue Valley's first state-sponsored family fishing event will be Saturday at Reinhart Pond in Grants Pass.

    The pond will be stocked with legal-sized rainbow trout, as well as 200 other trout running 12 to 15 inches long, for the annual event.

    Those big fish will be stocked today to keep adults from culling the field before Saturday's event, which runs from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

    Rods, reels, tackle and bait are provided by the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife to help lessen the learning curve on trout fishing.Crater Bass Club volunteers and ODFW staff can help with everything from baiting and casting a rod to catching and cleaning fish.

    Anglers from 14 to 17 need a juvenile fishing license, while those 13 and younger can fish for free. Anyone 18 and older needs an adult license.

    All state fishing regulations apply.

    To get there, take Interstate 5 to Exit 55 and go two miles down Grants Pass Parkway. Turn right onto S.E. M Street, which turns into S.W. Bridge Street.

    Go one mile and turn left onto Lincoln Road/OR-260, then travel down that street for almost a half-mile before turning left onto Webster Road to enter the park.

    Reach reporter Mark Freeman at 541-776-4470 or Follow him at

    News In Photos

      Loading ...