New art exhibits in a variety of media along with tasty bites of asparagus-based cuisine will highlight Third Friday's art walk in downtown Medford.
Described as "exciting and colorful," exhibits by 14 gallery artists will be displayed through August 1 at Art du Jour Gallery, 213 E. Main St., Medford. Featured artists include Millie Clarke, Margo Garnett, Ruth Heath, Judy Hubler, Dixie Kinser, Yvonne Kitchen, Susie Lee, Ginny Matheson, Margery Mercer, Carol Eaton Preston, Janet Rawlings, Ruth Hickok Schubert, Dick Woods and Sharie O'Neal Young. Mediums represented include watercolor, pastel, acrylic, sculpture, pen and ink and mixed media.
An opening reception will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. during the Third Friday art walk, May 21, at the gallery. Call 541-770-3190.
Spring-themed work by nine emerging artists will be displayed through June 5 at Rogue Gallery & Art Center, 40 S. Bartlett St. Artists include Emily Benz, Nathaniel Corwin, Andrew Farris, Jess Gleasman, Holly Kilpatrick, Greta Mikkelsen, Allen Smith, Julie VandenBerg and Joshua Wicks. The Art in Bloom Invitation Exhibit features work ranging from painting and printmaking to encaustic and sculpture.Call 541-772-8118 or visit www.roguegallery.org.
Chefs participating in the monthly Downtown Throwdown will be challenged to contrive a dish featuring the spring vegetable — asparagus. Elements, Downtown Market Co., Sunrise Cafe and Rosario's will offer gourmet food samples at Facets Jewelry, Molly Reed, Lawrence's Jewelers and My Daughter's Closet. Look for white balloons outside of the participating venues. Food service is limited to the first 100 people.
There will be wine provided by Red Lily Winery and Eden Vale Winery at four locations, and spirits by Organic Nation.
Here's a look at what's happening elsewhere on Third Friday.
- Artwork by Tom Glassman and Kendra Lichtenwaller will be displayed at 38 Central, 38 Central Ave. Call 541-776-0038.
- Photography by Ken Deal will be at Corks Wine Bar, 235 Theater Alley. Call 541-245-9802.
- Photography by Brian Prechtel will be at the Democratic Party Headquarters, 40 S. Central Ave. Call 541-858-1050
- Oil paintings by Kelly Anderson as well as live music by K.C. "Don" Maddox, Ron Bouldstad on guitar and Barbara Harvey on spoons will be at Facets Jewelry Studio, 301 E. Main St. Call 541-734-0930.
- Oil paintings by Cathy Gallatin will be at Gallatin's Gallery & Gifts, 222 W. Sixth St. Call 541-245-0645.
- Artwork by Donna Lantis, Betty Bangs and Mirjan Schnorr along with food tastings by Midge Dailey from Tastefully Simple and sweets will be at Lawrence's Jewelers, 232 E. Main St. Call 541-772-2986.
- Digital art by Robert Sharp and jewelry by Carol Sharp will be at Medford Interiors, 323 E. Main St. Call 541-772-2503
- Handbags by Susan H. Krempa will be at My Daughter's Closet, 16 S. Bartlett St. Call 541-499-0882
- Artwork by Miles Frode, Doug Hagan, Catharina Stendal and Pegi Smith will be at Organicos Natural Café, 226 E. Main St. Call 541-245-9802.
- Photography and mixed media by Laurie Paxton will be at Rapid Refill Ink, 218 E. Main St. Call 541-776-5010.
- Jewelry by Jim Carney will be at Schroeders Furniture, 220 E. Main St. Call 541-779-9991.
- Photography by Louis Ruth will be at Shuttertime 1 Photography, 33 N. Central, No. 411. Call 541-245-3826.
- Work by artists from Studio Sfumato will be at Sunrise Catering and Café, 130 E. Main St. Call 541-245-0555.
- Artwork by Isabelle Alzado, Jinny Brown, Thomas A. Bayne, Larry Safley, Robin Thayer-Harvey, Jane McClain, Teena Crandall, Janet Blight, Gerry Armstrong and Brian and Ladd Zastoupil will be at Yesterday's Blossoms, 275 Theater Alley. There will be live music by guitarist Scotty Gosson and the Constant Tourists. Appetizers will be provided by Organicos Natural Café, wine provided by Paschal Vineyards and coffee by Good Bean Co. Call 541-772-3484.
Other downtown businesses that support the art walk include A Sheer Vision, Hair & Nails & Wigs, 14 N. Bartlett St.; Dance Arts Center — home of Medford Civic Ballet, 9 Hawthorne St.; Hot Pots, 217 E. Main St.; Oh's Osaka, 35 N. Central Ave.; Gaetano, Ristorante Italiano, 35 N. Central Ave.; Red Rock Italian Eatery, 17 W. Fourth St; Gervais Day Spa and Salon, 111 N. Central Ave.
Maps highlighting the participating venues are available at any of the stops along the art walk. Parking in downtown Medford and in the parking structure on Sixth Street is free after 5 p.m. weekdays and all day Saturday and Sunday.
Along Theater Alley, look for live music by drummers John Statler and Keith Semmel and fire poi art by Jeff Berhends.
Artists working in all media are invited to participate in the Third Friday art walks. See thirdfridayartwalk.org or call 541-890-4940 for details.