Break out the sunscreen, the fishin' pole and the hammock. Memorial Day weekend, the traditional start of summer, is upon us and all signs point toward a beautiful three days of weather with plenty of activities to choose from.
- It should be great weather for heading to the hills, where lakes and reservoirs are full of both water and fish. See www.oregonoutdoors.com.
- Boat races will continue to be the big draw at the Boatnik Festival in Grants Pass. Races will be held all weekend, with the white-water hydroplane race on Monday. The Boatnik parade will be at 10 a.m. Saturday. See boatnik.com.
- Youth soccer players will be in Medford in force for the annual Rogue Valley Cup, with 126 teams from four states competing. Games will be at U.S. Cellular Community Park, North Medford High School, Fichtner-Mainwaring Park and Jefferson Elementary. See www.rvcupsoccer.com.
- Monday will feature several tributes to fallen veterans, including at 9 a.m. at the Fallen War Heroes Memorial at Don Jones Memorial Park in Central Point, a 10:45 a.m. dedication of a Blue Star memorial plaque at IOOF Eastwood Cemetery in Medford; and a 10:30 a.m. Memorial Day Observance at Mountain View Cemetery in Ashland.
- What's Memorial Day without a picnic? A Picnic in the Park will be held from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday at Harnish Wayside Park in Eagle Point, featuring music, a barbecue and all kinds of fun activities.
See today's Tempo for more weekend activities.