NFL's 49ers to ban tailgating after games start

SAN FRANCISCO — After violence marred a preseason game against the archrival Oakland Raiders, the 49ers moved Monday to strengthen security at home games by banning tailgating after kickoff and warning fans that rowdy behavior won't be tolerated.

In addition, 49ers CEO Jed York said he will recommend to the NFL that the annual preseason battle between the Niners and Raiders be put off next year.

"This is a game where you have a rivalry situation and, unfortunately you have the worst segment from a very small segment of both fan bases that come and brings about this type of event," York said at the stadium. "It's unfortunate."

San Francisco police, Mayor Ed Lee and 49ers officials also said officers will set up DUI checkpoints near the stadium after games and strictly forbid alcohol consumption at that time.

Earlier Monday, Lee said he was horrified as he watched violent fan confrontations at the game. Lee attended Saturday's game with Oakland Mayor Jean Quan, and both witnessed the brawling firsthand as spectators.

"They were just constantly wailing at each other without regard to who was there," Lee said of the fans. "This is a family outing, for residents and visitors and people who want to see the game, not for people to look for people they don't like, then saying bad words, then getting into it."

Two men who were initially listed as seriously injured in the violence were upgraded to fair condition by a hospital.

One of the victims, a 24-year-old man who reportedly was wearing a T-shirt reading "F—- the Niners," was shot several times in the stomach. Police said he managed to make it to stadium security for help despite the injuries.

The other victim whose condition was upgraded is a 26-year-old man who was beaten unconscious in an upper level stadium restroom during the fourth quarter.

Another shooting victim was treated after receiving superficial facial wounds after the game. Police did not release the name of any victims. No arrests have been made.

Police were seeking motives in the shootings, including whether the attacks were influenced by emotions involving the annual Battle of the Bay exhibition game or possibly gang connections.

Police said officers ejected at least 70 people from the stadium on Saturday, compared to about 20 at other games.

The figure from Saturday did not include several dozen people ejected by team security, said Jim Mercurio, 49ers vice president of stadium operations and security.

Police Chief Greg Suhr, a lifelong San Franciscan, said Saturday night was an "aberration."

Star running back Frank Gore said at 49ers headquarters that he was shocked to see so much violence.

"I think some of the fans take it too serious," Gore said. "It's a football game. I don't think they should be fighting and shooting and all that."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello echoed similar concerns, saying the league deplored the activities,

Raiders CEO Amy Trask added that the incidents were not acceptable to the Raiders or to any National Football League team and "our thoughts are with all affected."

The Niners said attendance at Saturday's game was about 47,000, far less than the 60,000-seat capacity.

Suhr said that there were 10 percent more police officers on hand than usual at the game. That total increased by 30 percent midway through the second quarter as the unruliness unfolded.

The attacks come nearly five months after San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow was severely beaten by two men in Los Angeles Dodgers gear outside Dodger Stadium after the archrivals' season opener.

Two men charged in the beating, Louie Sanchez, 28, and Marvin Norwood, 30, have pleaded not guilty.

Stow, 42, a Santa Cruz paramedic, suffered severe brain injuries and remains hospitalized in serious condition.

Share This Story