Chiefs continue mastery over Raiders

OAKLAND, Calif. — This game looked just like the meetings the previous two seasons between Kansas City and Oakland. Except that Priest Holmes was on the field.

Another close game that wasn't decided until the final minutes ended in the Chiefs' favor Sunday. Larry Johnson scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 1-yard run early in the fourth quarter and Jarrad Page had another clinching interception in the final minute to seal Kansas City's ninth straight win over the Raiders, 12-10.

It marked Holmes' return from a two-year absence from a neck injury.

Kansas City now has the longest winning streak ever against the Raiders, breaking a tie with San Diego. But eight of the wins have been by seven points or fewer as the Chiefs once again came up with the one big play down the stretch.

"You knew it would come down to this," Kansas City tight end Tony Gonzalez said. "It's usually decided on the last play of the game. It doesn't matter what the records are or what time of year it is. I'm happy we came out on top. Jarrad Page to the rescue again."

Page, an Oakland native and Buccaneers fan who grew up cheering against the Raiders, also ended a comeback attempt by his hometown team a year ago when he intercepted a pass in the end zone from Aaron Brooks in the final minute of a 17-13 win.

His interception of Daunte Culpepper's throw with 35 seconds left gave the Chiefs their fourth win in five games, sending them into their bye week in sole possession of first place in the AFC West.

The latest win was far from pretty. Kansas City gained 112 of its 290 yards on two big plays in the second half.

Holmes, Kansas City's career leader in yards rushing and touchdowns, was activated this week for the first time since suffering a neck injury on a vicious hit from San Diego's Shawne Merriman on Oct. 30, 2005.

Holmes entered the game on the third play of Kansas City's third drive. He caught a screen pass from Huard, but was tackled by Nnamdi Asomugha for a 6-yard loss. Holmes had no other catches and rushed four times for 9 yards, gaining a key first down with under 3 minutes left and Kansas City protecting the 12-10 lead.

"I had imagined this in my mind. Once I decided to come back on July 29, this was all a part of it," Holmes said.

Both teams struggled offensively before the game opened up with a few big plays in the second half. Johnson, bottled up early, had a season-long 54-yard run midway through the third quarter. Kansas City couldn't capitalize when Dave Rayner missed a 30-yard field goal that would have put the Chiefs up 9-0. Rayner made two field goals in the first half.

The Raiders immediately seized the momentum, with Culpepper hitting Jerry Porter on a 59-yard pass on the next play. Culpepper followed with a 21-yard scoring strike to Curry, who had dropped three passes earlier in the game, to give Oakland a 7-6 lead.

Share This Story