St. Mary’s blanks Cascade Christian

After winning three straight matches via shutout to open play in the Southern Cascade League, St. Mary’s boys soccer coach Eisa Tia Tutu wasn’t ready to start heaping praise on his team. At least not yet.

“These kids work hard and sometimes we need to focus more to finish the game earlier not later,” Tia Tutu said Wednesday after St. Mary’s defeated Cascade Christian 3-0 at U.S. Cellular Community Park. “I think we still have room to improve to get to that point.”

The Crusaders (3-1, 3-0 SCL), who’ve outscored their three league opponents by a combined count of 13-0, appeared plenty impressive to the opposing coach.

“We’ve definitely got our work cut out for us,” Cascade Christian coach Joe Winters said. “They’re coached very well and they’re very disciplined.”

“No excuses, we just weren’t quite ready for them,” he added. “They’re good.”

Milan Bobek scored the lone goal of the first half, dribbling through defenders after taking a pass from Preston Jernigan.

The Crusaders went up 2-0 when Weston Grant scored on a feed from Max Lewis.

Roman Bobek tacked on the third goal after cleaning up on a scramble play.

Defensively, Luka Cvijanovic, Parker Lam and Andrew Michels keyed the shutout for St. Mary’s.

For Cascade Christian, Kevin Wayda and Jonny McCoy were standouts in midfield, while Caleb Sciapiti and Levi Ellerbeck and Jeffrey Fairbanks led the defense. Also for the Challengers (1-1, 1-1), Caleb Knight stepped in as keeper in the second half and made several impressive saves.

ROGUE RIVER 6, PACIFIC/BANDON 4: At Bandon, Rogue River erased a 4-0 halftime deficit by scoring all six of its goals in the second half to defeat Pacific/Bandon in a District 5 match.

Sebastian Poston put in a pair of goals, while Simeon Poston, Garren Decker, Camilo Martinez and Derrick Geiger scored one apiece for the Chieftains (3-0-1, 1-0-1 Dist. 5), who after changing ends amassed five goals within the first 14 minutes of the second half.

Also for Rogue River, goalie Tristen Spaeth bounced back from a rough first half by making a highlight save and shutting out the Pirates (1-5, 0-3) after the break.

EAGLE POINT 4, KLAMATH UNION 2: At Eagle Point, Martin Hernandez netted a pair of goals to lead Eagle Point past Klamath Union in a nonleague match.

Memo Cortes added one goal and assisted on another for the Eagles (1-2), who led 3-0 before the Pelicans (0-1) cut the deficit with back-to-back goals by Cole Dillon and Tim Chen in the second half.

Cody Silani also put in a goal for Eagle Point, converting a penalty kick in the 41st minute to make it 2-0.


NORTH VALLEY 2, ST. MARY’S 1: St. Mary’s led briefly in the second half before falling to North Valley, the defending 4A state champion, in a nonleague match.

Following a scoreless first half, Maddie Wheelock received a pass from Ibixica Alvarez just outside the penalty box, broke through the defensive line and finished with a shot into the far post netting to put the Crusaders (1-2) ahead 1-0 at the 46th minute mark.

Seven minutes later, Baylee Touey equalized for the Knights (3-1) with a quick shot from 18 yards out on an assist by Brianna Robles.

In the 64th minute, Touey notched her second goal after receiving a pass from Haley Kersten and breaking away up the center of goal and slipping in the game winner.

St. Mary's had a couple of good chances to score late in the second half, but came up just short.

ASHLAND 7, EAGLE POINT 1: At Ashland, Mya Elder-Hammond scored the opening three goals of the match to record a true hat trick, leading Ashland to a nonleague victory over Eagle Point on Tuesday.

Elder-Hammond added her fourth goal and also assisted on a header goal by Barritt Reynolds prior to halftime, making it 6-0 at the break, after Eagle Point had an own-goal.

In the second half, the Grizzlies (3-0) made it 7-0 when Ginny Cotton scored on an assist by Hannah Haptonstall.

The Eagles (1-1) found the back of the net in the 61st minute, capitalizing on a long free kick, to avoid the shutout.

Also for Ashland, Mary Wilson assisted on the first goal and Reynolds assisted on the third.

Share This Story