Beavers catch fire in second half, close out Cardinal

CORVALLIS — The way the season has gone lately, Oregon State needed some sort of boost.

Hot shooting and a stretch of solid defense gave the Beavers what they needed en route to an 87-80 win over Stanford on Thursday night.

Oregon State coach Craig Robinson took a deep breath when asked how big a sigh of relief it was for his team to end a string that saw the Beavers (10-16, 5-10 Pac-10) lose 10 of their previous 12 games.

"That's a sigh. That's a good sigh," Robinson said. "We always want to make sure we're moving in the right direction. This win sort of gives us this confidence that what we're doing as a team can work positively."

Jared Cunningham had 17 of his team-high 21 points in the second half for the Beavers.

He had three steals to break the school's sophomore season record previously held by Gary Payton (1986-90). Cunningham, the Pac-10 leader in steals, now has 74 for the season.

Calvin Haynes added 14 points and Roberto Nelson 12 points for the Beavers, who shot 32 of 52 from the field including 19 of 28 in the second half — after hitting just 36.6 percent of their shots in the previous eight games.

Jeremy Green had 24 points for Stanford (13-14, 6-10), which has now lost four straight despite tying its season best in 3-pointers with 13.

Stanford's Aaron Bright was 5 of 5 from the field, all 3-pointers, for 15 points. Teammate Jarrett Mann had four points and a team-high 10 assists.

Oregon State outscored Stanford 13-5 in the last 2:18 to end a four-game losing streak.

The lead was traded three times in the last five minutes before Cunningham's three-point play with 1:29 left put the Beavers ahead for good at 80-77. After a Stanford miss, Oregon State's Devon Collier scored after grabbing an offensive rebound.

Cunningham and Haynes had dunks off Collier assists in the closing seconds to ice the game.

"It feels good to get a win," Haynes said. "It's good for our confidence, just good overall going into Saturday (against California) just trying to get another win."

Oregon State trailed 41-35 at halftime but used an early run in the second half to tie the game.

"I think the biggest thing to note is how hard these guys have been able to work after having a tough road being on the road and having such a tough road stint," Robinson said of his team, which was coming off three straight road games. "I think they were pressing because they were trying to make the plays to help each other out."

Stanford built a double-digit lead in the first half.

Bright's second 3-pointer during an 11-0 run put the Cardinal up 25-12.

Oregon State later closed the gap with a 9-2 run. Angus Brandt's 3-pointer with 4:43 remaining in the half left Stanford ahead 30-26.

Anthony Brown scored the last five points of the half for Stanford.

Share This Story