The annual guided hikes begin in April and continue through early June atop Lower and Upper Table Rocks.
Groups of 10 or more are invited to participate in the weekday hikes available Tuesday through Friday. The hikes begin around 9 a.m. and last about four hours. They are from three to five miles roundtrip on a moderate grade.
For more information about the weekday hikes, check out www.blm.gov/or/resources/recreation/tablerock/index.php or contact Leah Schrodt at 618-2468.
The weekend spring hikes by the BLM and The Nature Conservancy are held from early April through mid-May. There is no charge but reservations are required since participation is limited.
For further information about the weekend hikes, call the BLM at 618-2200 or check out its Web site. The information is also on The Nature Conservancy's Web site at www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/oregon/preserves online.
Participants should dress appropriately for the weather and bring a lunch and something to drink. Restrooms are available at both trailheads.
The weekend hikes and hike leaders include:
- April 5, 10 a.m., Upper Table Rock, Donn Todt, ethnobotanist and horticulturist.
- April 6, 10 a.m., Lower Table Rock, Molly Sullivan, Southwest Oregon stewardship coordinator with The Nature Conservancy; and Armand Rebischke, a BLM botanist and Native Plant Society member.
- April 12, 1 p.m., Upper Table Rock, Terry Tuttle, retired forester and professional photographer.
- April 13, 10 a.m., Lower Table Rock, Barbara Mumblo, botanist.
- April 19, 10 a.m., Lower Table Rock, Marcia Wineteer, botanist.
- April 20, 10 a.m., Upper Table Rock, Charley Martin, fire ecologist.
- April 26, 8:30 a.m., Lower Table Rock, Harry Fuller, a Klamath Bird Observatory volunteer.
- April 27, 10 a.m., Upper Table Rock, Peter Schroeder, associate professor of biology and entomologist at Southern Oregon University.
- May 3, 10 a.m., Lower Table Rock, Jeff Lalande, retired archaeologist and historian for the Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest.
- May 4, 10 a.m., Upper Table Rock, Bill Elliott, assistant professor of geology at Southern Oregon University.
- May 10, 10 a.m., Upper Table Rock, Jeff Stephens, wildlife biologist.
- May 11, 10 a.m., Lower Table Rock, family hike with Greta Gardiner, a BLM environmental interpreter.
- May 17, 10 a.m., Lower Table Rock, naturalist Leah Schrodt.
- May 18, 10 a.m., Upper Table Rock, nature sketching with illustrator and naturalist Irene Brady.