Mail Tribune 100

Nov. 22, 1916


Two important ordinances were passed at their second and third readings by the city council in their regular mid-monthly session last night. The first of these relates to vehicle traffic within the corporate limits of Medford. The changes made in the ordinance, which repeals the former traffic rules, are that all vehicles, whether or not they are motor vehicles, which would include buggies, wagons and pushcarts in operation between sundown and sunrise, must carry a light, one only being necessary on other than motor vehicles providing it throws a white light to the front and a red light to the rear.

The ordinance also provides for the dimming of auto headlights, stating that they must be so frosted as not to blind, dazzle or confuse occupants of other vehicles or pedestrians. The maximum punishment for infraction is $100 or 50 days in jail.

Another provision is for the establishment of a safety zone on the streets near public schools wherein the speed limit is ten miles per hour during school hours. These zones will be marked by signs.

The Second ordinance passed is a safety first measure designed for the lowering of the fire loss within the city limits. It provides that all buildings within the city shall be inspected by the fire chief or some member of the department twice a year in the outlying districts and four times a year in the closely built section. This ordinance met with considerable opposition from Councilman Keene and Mayor Emerick who contended that the property owner should assume the responsibility of inspecting his own home. They objected to the additional expense which they considered the measure involved. Both, however, stated they would be glad to have their own homes inspected.

The measure was passed upon Fire Chief Lawton's explanation that the inspection will necessitate no additional expense, and said that the work is in line with modern fire department methods that the chief should spend his time in the prevention of fire, not in waiting for fires to come and then put them out. The fire two weeks ago on Geneva street, he explained, would never have occurred had the fire place been inspected, as it was plainly defective.

Share This Story