High school student-athletes can live out of state

I hear some of Jesuit's soccer players don't live in Oregon. Is it legal for someone to play for a school when they don't even live in the same state?

— Margaret B., Medford

Nothing breeds contempt like success. The athletic powerhouse in west Portland attracts students from a footprint far beyond that of a public school district, just like every private school.

The underlying rule for athletes attending public schools is that they have to go to the school in whose boundary they live. Of course, there are a variety of ways a player can seek to attend another high school involving consent from both schools. But your question is about students living out of state, not out of district.

The Oregon School Activities Association has rules concerning undue influence involving the transfer of student-athletes from one school to another, but when it comes students living out of state, it's another matter.

"No OSAA rule would prohibit a student from living in Washington, as long as they were a full-time student at a member school," said Brad Garrett, an assistant executive director for the OSAA. "So it is possible that the school could have a player, or players, who would not live in Oregon."

For someone, let's say living in Vancouver, it would merely involve crossing the the Columbia River daily and braving traffic. Here in Southern Oregon, a student living in Hilt or along the Klamath River could play for St. Mary's if they were a full-time student.

— Send questions to “Since You Asked,” Mail Tribune Newsroom, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501; by fax to 541-776-4376; or by email to youasked@mailtribune.com. We’re sorry, but the volume of questions received prevents us from answering all of them.

Share This Story