Author and historian Dennis Powers will present a Windows in Time lecture titled "Believe It or Not: The Strange and Unique Stories of Southern Oregon," from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 6, at the Medford library, 205 South Central Ave., and Wednesday, Dec. 13, at the Ashland library, 410 Siskiyou Blvd.
The lecture will address such stories as:
- Known for their ability to “sniff out gold” and their antics, the tall Rhoten brothers stood out from the rest.
- Drilling for oil in Southern Oregon.
- Strange occurrences at the Oregon Vortex.
- Did planes actually have to dodge racecars at Medford’s first airport?
- Stories about the spirits living here.
- Does Bigfoot really exist?
Powers retired as a professor emeritus at Southern Oregon University. He researches local history and has written 200 historical radio scripts for Jefferson Public Radio’s “As It Was” and more than 200 for a KMED weekly radio show. He is the author of 22 books, of which his most recent one, "Where Past Meets Present: The Amazing People, Places & Stories of Southern Oregon," is available at the Southern Oregon Historical Society Research Library. All sale proceeds go to the library.
The monthly Windows in Time lunchtime lectures are offered free on the first and second Wednesday throughout the year. The talks are jointly sponsored by SOHS and Jackson County Library Services. For more information, call JCLS at 541-774-6996 or visit jcls.org.