Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. TRUMP’S CANDIDATE TO BE GRILLED
Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh begins four days of marathon hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday, a nomination that could swing the court’s majority rightward.
2. JUSTICE DEPARTMENT FACES MORE OF PRESIDENT’S CRITICISM
Donald Trump tweeted that federal indictments against two Republican congressmen placed the GOP in midterm election jeopardy.
3. ARETHA’S KIN SEE NO R-E-S-P-E-C-T IN TRIBUTE SPEECH
The late singer’s family says it found an Atlanta pastor’s eulogy delivered at the Queen of Soul’s funeral last week to be offensive and distasteful.
4. AMERICA’S AFGHAN ALLY-TURNED-FOE DIES
Jalaluddin Haqqani was once hailed as a freedom fighter by Ronald Reagan but his network of Taliban fighters later became a fierce enemy of the U.S.
5. FIERCE STORM RIPS ACROSS LAND OF THE RISING SUN
A powerful typhoon is blowing through western Japan, causing heavy rain to flood the region’s main offshore international airport.
6. BRAZIL ASSESSES COLLECTION TURNED TO ASH AND RUBBLE
Forensic investigators and researchers are awaiting access to the burnt-out National Museum of Rio de Janeiro, to see what remains of its 20 million artifacts and what caused the blaze.
7. WILL HE OR WON’T HE ATTEND PYONGYANG’S BIRTHDAY BASH
Chinese President Xi Jinping’s presence, or absence, at the 70th anniversary of North Korea’s founding is seen a sign of where the two countries’ relations stand.
8. MAGAZINE CANCELS CHAT WITH CONTROVERSIAL FORMER TRUMP AIDE
The New Yorker drops plans to interview Steve Bannon during its festival next month, after widespread outrage.
9. WHO IS UPSET BY QUESTIONS ABOUT HER FORMER BOSS
Monica Lewinsky says she stormed offstage at a Jerusalem speaking event because of an interviewer’s “off limits” question about Bill Clinton.
10. SWISS MASTER MAKES UNEXPECTED EXIT
Affected by the heat and humidity, Roger Federer lost in the fourth round of the U.S. Open to 55th-ranked John Millman of Australia.