Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHO’S FEELING THE HEAT AFTER HELSINKI SUMMIT
Trump’s extraordinary performance alongside his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin fuels criticism of his presidency from both right and left.
2. RUSSIANS PRAISE PUTIN, PITY TRUMP
While the U.S. leader went home to widespread criticism after their Finnish summit, the Russian president came home to universal praise.
3. IN POLICY SHIFT, US OPEN TO MEETING WITH TALIBAN
Washington is open to holding direct talks with the Taliban to encourage negotiations between the militant group and the Afghan government to end 17 years of war.
4. MEXICANS MOB ‘AMLO’ FOR MATTERS BIG OR SMALL
Mexicans crowd outside the offices of President-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador daily in hopes he can help with pensions, clemency for a jailed loved one or even offer a job.
5. FOR CAST OUT ROHINGYA, NOWHERE TO RUN
The monsoon season is bringing fresh dangers to the brutalized Muslim minority who live in ramshackle huts in refugee camps in Bangladesh.
6. WHERE HISTORY WILL BE MARKED
The Cape Cod town of Orleans plans a commemoration 100 years after being shelled by a German submarine during World War I.
7. HAWAII CHANGING TOUR BOAT OPERATIONS
Sightseeing outfits will follow the Coast Guard’s revised policy and stay farther away after an explosion caused molten rock to penetrate the roof of a vessel, injuring dozens.
8. SURVIVOR BLAMES OFFICIALS FOR PRISON RIOT
A state corrections counselor taken hostage during a deadly riot last year at Delaware’s maximum-security prison tells AP inmates need better conditions, counseling and programs.
9. ‘FLIPPING THE BUSINESS MODEL ON ITS HEAD’
Fashion companies upend their design process with sharper technology like 3-D rendering to get trendy items to shoppers much faster.
10. WHO WOWED THE HOMETOWN CROWD
Nationals slugger Bryce Harper thrills Washington fans, dramatically edging the Cubs’ Kyle Schwarber to win the All-Star Home Run Derby.