Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. CALIFORNIA TOPS LIST AS MIDTERM MATCHUPS FORM
With the possibility of a blue wave on the horizon, primaries in eight states will test voter enthusiasm, candidate quality and Trump’s influence.
2. EX-TRUMP CAMPAIGN CHAIR ACCUSED OF WITNESS TAMPERING
Prosecutors say that while he was under house arrest, Paul Manafort attempted to get two witnesses to lie about the nature of lobbying and PR work they carried out on behalf of Ukraine.
3. TRUMP WEIGHS EXECUTIVE AUTHORITY
The president is asserting that he hasn’t done anything to warrant a pardon but also says he has an “absolute right” to pardon himself if anything comes of Mueller’s Russia probe.
4. VILLAGERS MOURNING DEAD FROM ‘VOLCANO OF FIRE’
Guatemala officials say just 17 of the 69 people killed by an erupting volcano have been identified because the intense heat of volcanic debris leaves most bodies unidentifiable.
5. WHAT HELPED POLICE SOLVE ARIZONA SLAYINGS
A hunch from a retired detective helps lead authorities to a man suspected of shooting six people to death over four days in the Phoenix area.
6. SOME SYRIANS FIND PEACE IN CROWDED CAMP FOR DISLOCATED
One family tells AP how they endured weeks of bombings in Douma, near-starvation and a suspected chemical gas attack that almost killed their eldest son.
7. TRUMP DISINVITES EAGLES TO WHITE HOUSE
The president calls off a visit by the Super Bowl champions, citing the dispute over whether NFL players must stand during the playing of the national anthem.
8. HARVEY WEINSTEIN DUE BACK IN COURT IN SEX CRIMES CASE
The former movie mogul is scheduled to be arraigned in New York on rape and criminal sex act charges.
9. DELAWARE LAUNCHES SPORTS BETTING
Three casinos in the state will offer single-game and championship wagering on professional baseball, football, hockey, basketball, soccer, golf and auto racing.
10. WHO IS 1 WIN FROM STANLEY CUP
Evgeny Kuznetsov tallies four assists and Washington routs Vegas 6-2 as the Capitals close in on their first NHL championship in their 43-year history.