Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. ‘VOLCANO OF FIRE’ ERUPTS IN GUATEMALA
The eruption in the Central American country sends lava flowing into rural communities, killing at least 25 as ash impedes rescue efforts.
2. WHAT GIULIANI IS SAYING ABOUT RUSSIA PROBE
One of Trump’s lawyers plays down the chance president would pardon himself, saying that would invite impeachment proceedings and the commander in chief has done no wrong.
3. LAWMAKERS BACK ON THE HILL
Congress returns to work facing a showdown in the House over immigration while Senate Republicans are trying to stop a tariff-induced, all-out trade war.
4. CHINA SETS CONDITIONS IN TRADE SPAT
Beijing says it will narrow its trade surplus with the U.S. but rejects pressure to change technology development tactics.
5. AP: SENIORS SCRIMP BUT STILL SPEND MORE FOR MEDS
Medicare recipients filled fewer prescriptions for pricey brand-name drugs — but spent more on such meds anyway, a government report says.
6. ‘WE REMEMBER THE TRAGIC LOSS OF INNOCENT LIVES’
On the 29th anniversary of the crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Tiananmen Square, Mike Pompeo urges China to disclose the details of people killed, detained or missing.
7. TEAM STUDIES BONES TO ID DISAPPEARED IN MEXICO
Forensic investigators are analyzing the DNA from bone fragments hoping to match it with some of the tens of thousands who have disappeared amid the country’s drug war, AP learns.
8. WHEN EXPERTS EXPECT A POSSIBLE RECESSION
Business economists see near-term boost from tax cuts but worry about a financial downturn in 2020.
9. MELANIA TRUMP SKIPPING TRIPS ABROAD
The first lady won’t be joining her husband at the G7 summit in Quebec or the expected meeting with North Korea’s leader in Singapore.
10. CURRY SETS NBA FINALS MARK
The Warriors’ All-Star made a record nine 3-pointers and scored 33 points to lead Golden State to a 122-103 win over Cleveland for 2-0 series lead.