Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. CONFUSION ON BORDER AFTER TRUMP REVERSAL ON FAMILY SEPARATION
President Donald Trump’s reversal of a policy separating immigrant children from parents is causing uncertainty for both migrant families and the federal agencies in charge of prosecuting and detaining them.
2. GOP STRUGGLES TO SALVAGE IMMIGRATION BILL, POSTPONES VOTE
The House Republican immigration overhaul is dangling precariously, imperiled by stubborn differences between conservative and moderate factions
3. HOPE, DESPAIR IN POETRY BY IMMIGRANT CHILDREN IN US LOCKUP
A collection of poems by young immigrants held in prison-like conditions at a juvenile detention center in the mountains of Virginia expresses despair, memories of home, hope.
4. TRUMP JABBED FIRST, AND NOW THE WORLD IS PUNCHING BACK
The European Union is set to slap tariffs on $3.4 billion in American products, from whiskey and motorcycles to peanuts and cranberries.
5. PROTEST MARCHES NO LONGER NEED FAMOUS FACE TO RALLY CROWDS
The new wave of political activism, marked by protests in the nation’s capital and cities across America, looks more anonymous.
6. A NEED TO VERIFY NORTH KOREA NUCLEAR PLEDGES
The Trump administration identified the missile test engine site it says North Korea has pledged to destroy, but the president’s latest comments about resolving the nuclear standoff raises new questions about what concessions Pyongyang has made.
7. WHO AGREES TO BRING WAR-DIVIDED FAMILIES TOGETHER
The rival Koreas say they will hold reunions of war-separated families on Aug. 20-26.
8. COLORADO’S INDEPENDENT VOTERS GET VOICE IN PARTY PRIMARIES
Colorado is joining a growing list of states that allow unaffiliated voters to participate in the major party primaries, thanks to a voter-passed initiative.
9. PULITZER PRIZE-WINNING COLUMNIST DIES
Charles Krauthammer, the Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist and pundit who helped shape and occasionally dissented from the conservative movement as he evolved from “Great Society” Democrat to Iraq War cheerleader to denouncer of Donald Trump, has died.
10. WHICH NBA PROSPECT WAS DRAFTED NUMBER ONE
The Phoenix Suns made Deandre Ayton the first No. 1 pick in franchise history.