Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. FOR TRUMP, KIM MAY BE THE DEAL THAT GOT AWAY
Eager for a dramatic moment and a bold accomplishment, Trump agreed to Kim’s March overture for a summit in less than an hour, ignoring the warnings of seasoned advisers who said it could backfire.
2. NORTH KOREA KEEPS HOPES OF TALKS ALIVE AFTER TRUMP CANCELLATION
North Korea says that it’s still willing to sit for talks with the United States “at any time, (in) any format.”
3. WHO SURRENDERED IN SEXUAL MISCONDUCT PROBE
Harvey Weinstein arrived at a police station in New York and surrendered to face criminal charges in a sexual assault probe.
4. CONGRESSIONAL LEADERS GET BRIEFINGS ON RUSSIA PROBE
Republican and Democratic lawmakers have received classified briefings about the origins of the FBI investigation into Russia’s meddling in the 2016 presidential election.
5. CYCLONE EXPECTED TO BE ‘EXTREMELY SEVERE’ IN OMAN
Meteorologists say Cyclone Mekunu will be “extremely severe” when it crashes into the Arabian Peninsula this weekend after earlier thrashing the Yemeni island of Socotra.
6. VOTE ON ABORTION BEGINS IN IRELAND
Voters throughout Ireland began casting votes in a referendum that may lead to a loosening of the country’s strict ban on most abortions.
7. TRUMP PARDONS BOXING’S FIRST BLACK HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION
President Donald Trump grants a rare posthumous pardon to Jack Johnson more than 100 years after what many see as his racially charged conviction.
8. VETERANS HOPE NEW RULES WILL HELP THEM FIND JOBS
The state of Connecticut’s human rights commission told employers last month they could be breaking the law if they discriminate against veterans with some types of less-than-honorable discharges.
9. WHY TRAVEL AT GAZA BORDER MOVING AT A SLOW PACE
Thousands of people in Gaza hoping to travel are on a waiting list, a backlog created by long periods of closures, and Egyptian border officials are slowly processing them.
10. ROCKETS TAKE 3-2 SERIES LEAD AGAINST THE WARRIORS
Eric Gordon comes off the bench to score 24 points and his steal on the Golden State Warrior’s last possession secured a 98-94 win over the Houston Rockets in the Western Conference finals.