Police charge Medford man in killing

A Medford man suspected of shooting and killing his wife early Friday is being held in the Jackson County Jail without bail on a murder charge.

Bourne Huddleston, 43, was arrested about an hour after Jackson County Sheriff's deputies found his wife, Kristy Huddleston, 34, dead from a gunshot wound in the couple's home at 6645 Pioneer Road in Medford. Sheriff's officials declined to comment on the number of shots fired or the location of the wounds.

Police responded to the home after a 9-1-1 caller reported a person bleeding at around 2:10 a.m. Jackson County Fire District No. 5 and deputies arrived to find Kristy Huddleston dead in the home.

The Huddlestons' 10-year-old son was also there. He is currently in the care of a family member, said Jackson County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Andrea Carlson.

Sheriff's deputies, the Oregon State Police and Talent, Phoenix, Medford and Eagle Point police fanned out to find Bourne Huddleston. They tracked him to an Eagle Point residence, and he was taken into custody without incident.

The case is still under investigation. On Friday afternoon, police tape surrounded the Huddleston property while law enforcement officers combed through the house.

The Pioneer Road property is on a quiet stretch of rural land with several spaced-apart houses and farms.

Court records show no criminal record for Huddleston in Jackson County. His criminal past in Oregon is also scant, with just a speeding-ticket conviction out of Klamath County in October 1999.

Neighbors said Huddleston had spoken of his service in the U.S. Marine Corps. A red USMC flag flies outside his house. Calls to the U.S. Marine Corps and Veterans Administration and the White City Veterans Affairs Rehabilitation Center and Clinics were not returned, so details about Huddleston's service status are not yet known.

Neighbors said they never expected anything was wrong in the home or with Huddleston.

"He seemed like a heck of a nice guy," said neighbor Don Barss.

Barss said he awoke around 3:30 a.m. Friday to let his cat out and saw police cars outside the Huddleston house. He watched the scene for a bit and witnessed a child — presumably the Huddlestons' 10-year-old son — exiting the house in the care of law enforcement personnel. The boy initially was taken to the Department of Human Services and later released to a family member.

"You could kind of tell something bad had happened," Barss said. "You just don't expect to wake up in the middle of the night and see this going on."

Neighbor Roy Wiltse said he and Huddleston didn't speak often, maybe twice, but Wiltse had seen him doing yardwork at the home.

"They were just good, quiet neighbors," Wiltse said. "Nice, quiet guy."

Reach reporter Ryan Pfeil at 541-776-4468 or by email at rpfeil@mailtribune.com

Share This Story