Man in standoff gets 10 days

Mail Tribune

A Shady Cove man was given 10 days in jail, fined $8,500 and placed on three years' unsupervised probation for his actions during a February standoff with police.

Andrew James Hinds, 48, of the 200 block of Deer Park Lane, was sentenced Tuesday in Jackson County Circuit Court by Judge Ray White after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor charges — pointing a laser light at an officer, and recklessly endangering another.

The incident began about 6 p.m. Feb. 15, when deputies received a report that an apparently intoxicated and suicidal man had fired off rifle rounds in his residence, and was threatening "suicide by cop," according to Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters. Hinds was taken into custody by deputies seven-and-a-half hours later, but not before the county's Special Weapons and Tactics Team was called in and a half-dozen residences in the neighborhood were evacuated, police said. "These (standoff situations) are serious for everybody," said White. "This puts everybody in absolute danger."

The judge also ordered Hinds to undergo mental-health evaluations and treatment, forfeit all his weapons, and avoid all intoxicants. Hinds will be given credit for time served after his February arrest, White said.

"I hate to guess how much we spent dealing with this," said White.

Hinds was arrested on four counts of use or carrying of a weapon, endangering the welfare of another, two counts of invasion of personal privacy and one count of second-degree disorderly conduct. He was held in Jackson County Jail on $35,000 bail.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Karen Loomis attempted to negate the agreement, which removed all felony charges, when she realized Hinds' probation would not be supervised. Failing that, Loomis asked White to give Hinds a one-year prison sentence.

Hinds' defense attorney, Peter Gorn, argued that the family disputes police accounts of the incident. His client had only one previous conviction — which was for driving under the influence — and would lose his job if convicted of a felony.

"Somebody called 9-1-1," said Loomis. "The police are not going to make up this fact. Nothing has changed. He's been like this for a long time. Maybe if he's in jail he'll have time to reflect, clear his mind and take his medications."

White expressed frustration the state had failed to ensure Hinds was placed on supervised probation. But he denied Loomis' requests, saying the Oregon Court of Appeals could find the court had placed Hinds in double jeopardy if the felony charges were refiled.

Hinds' family members, who live on the Deer Park Lane property, attended Tuesday's sentencing. They will request the return of the weapons seized after the incident, said Gorn.

White said they could make their request. But the judge expressed astonishment they would want guns near Hinds, who has a history of making suicidal and homicidal threats, he said.

"Why the family allowed these guns to be in this house is beyond me," White said.

Reach reporter Sanne Specht at 776-4497 or e-mail

Share This Story