A grand jury has charged a Medford man with attempted murder and burglary alleging he entered his former girlfriend's east Medford home and attempted to kill her.
Ryan Daniel Conner, 37, was charged Wednesday afternoon with a total of 10 counts, including seven felonies, accusing him of attacking 36-year-old Mandy Valencia just after 4 a.m. June 21 at Valencia's home in the 1900 block of Hutchins Circle.
Deputy District Attorney Lucy Durst said she couldn't comment on the length of time the grand jury convened or how long they deliberated, believing it could be used to infer the strength of their case against Conner. Durst denied comment for similar reasons when asked whether detectives believe the attack was premeditated.
Medford police detective Brandon Amaya and Valencia were among witnesses who testified, according to Durst.
Valencia described Conner as her former fiance and the father of her 3-year-old son in earlier news reports, with whom she shared custody before Conner's arrest. She said they hadn't been together for a year.
Conner originally came from Rancho Cucamonga, California, and most recently worked as a massage therapist for a physical therapy center in Eagle Point, according to Valencia.
The Mail Tribune does not typically name victims in domestic violence cases, but Valencia, a former Mail Tribune staffer, provided details of her attack last week. Valencia said her attacker wore all black, gloves and night vision goggles, and attacked her with a mallet and stun gun in a struggle that lasted roughly 15 minutes.
As word spread of the attack and Valencia's efforts to survive, a groundswell of support followed. As of Wednesday evening, a crowdfunding page organized by friend Sabena Vaughan has raised $5,496 toward a $10,000 goal seeking to cover Valencia's medical expenses. Medford food truck Daddy Ramen pledged to donate a percentage of proceeds to the GoFundMe campaign, according to a Tuesday post on the business' Facebook page.
In a text exchange, Valencia said she hesitated to authorize her friend to start the GoFundMe page, but said she used all of her paid time off to battle breast cancer, had racked up medical bills because of the attack and had been dependent on Conner for child support.
Conner faces felony charges of attempted murder, first-degree burglary, first-degree assault, two counts of second-degree assault and two counts of unlawful use of a weapon, along with misdemeanor charges of strangulation and second-degree child neglect, alleging Conner left their child at home sleeping during the attack.
As of Wednesday evening, Conner remained lodged in the Jackson County Jail on $500,000 bail.
Reach reporter Nick Morgan at 541-776-4471 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter at @MTCrimeBeat.