news-180429845-ar-0-gmjiweqermmr.jpg
Robert Carter describes what happened during a fire at his residence on Queen Anne Avenue Monday morning.

Halogen lamp caused Medford fire

A man sustained minor injuries when he tried to put out a fire this morning in his east Medford house.


Robert Carter, 68, was out on the back patio of his home at 1219 Queen Anne Ave., when he smelled smoke.


“So I started looking around, and there’s smoking coming out of (the) upstairs,” Carter said.


The smoke was coming from a loft area where Carter sleeps — he lives at the house with his family — and he traced the source to his mattress, which was on fire, he said. He went outside, turned on his hose and went back up the stairs to try and extinguish it.


“I was just standing there hosing away, trying to put it out,” he said. “I was feeling pretty hopeless.”


The fire sent up a column of black smoke. Nearby houses were evacuated temporarily, and Academy Place was shut down between Queen Anne Avenue and East Jackson Street. Nearby Roosevelt Elementary School was not in danger, according to Medford police.


Medford Fire-Rescue crews arrived within five minutes of the initial 911 call and had the flames knocked down within 10 minutes, officials said. Firefighters were able to confine the fire damage to the one room.


“It sustained significant damage from the fire and smoke,” Battalion Chief Erin Sawall said.


Pacific Power crews also had to respond to briefly deal with a power line that dropped, Sawall said.


Carter sustained minor injuries to his hand but declined medical transport.


The fire was sparked by a halogen lamp Carter uses for heat in the loft, according to Deputy Fire Marshal Steve Parks.


“When I came down this morning, I must have left it on,” Carter said.


Carter said he’s relieved the fire did not spread to the rest of the structure.


“I’m glad to hear it’s all structurally sound,” Carter said.


Reach web editor Ryan Pfeil at rpfeil@rosebudmedia.com or at 541-776-4468.

Share This Story