Clothes dryer suspected in residential fire

PHOENIX — A fire suspected of starting in a clothes dryer heavily damaged a Phoenix home Tuesday evening.

The fire at 111 W. Sixth St. was reported at 7:23 p.m. and Jackson County Fire District No. 5 firefighters found smoke and fire rolling through about half of the single-story home, Fire Chief Dan Marshall said.

The woman two children who lived there escaped safely, as did another woman and her two children who were visiting, Marshall said.

Firefighters quickly knocked down the fire, which had started in the laundry room. Marshall said the exact cause is still under investigation, but the fire likely started at the dryer. It was discovered when the woman went to do another load of laundry and was greeted by smoke and flames when she opened the laundry room door.

The home, valued at about $250,000, was insured and the family had friends to stay with, Marshall said. An insurance company will help evaluate the home to see if the damage from flames, smoke and water can be repaired. Marshall said the roof was intact, but interior damage would require further inspection.

Firefighters pointed out the importance of having working smoke detectors and planned escape routes out of the home.

Share This Story