No injuries were reported in a Thursday fire that destroyed a recreational vehicle outside Central Point, but crews were still trying to reach the vehicle's owner.
By Thursday evening, little remained of an RV located in the 300 block of Gibbon Road except the vehicle's frame and a large amount of smoking clothing and debris.
The fire, reported at 3:14 p.m, briefly spread to a tree and dry grass. By the time fire crews arrived, the vehicle was entirely engulfed in flames, according to Jackson County Fire District 3 Battalion Chief Scott Downing.
"When we arrived on scene, the motor home was fully involved," Downing said, "fire coming from everywhere."
A large amount of clothing and debris inside and around the RV led to complications extinguishing the blaze, which continued to smolder after the flames were knocked down. At least four engines responded, including one from the Oregon Department of Forestry.
The cause of the fire wasn't immediately known.
"We're not going to commit our fire marshal into the hazard zone until we're at least an hour with no smoke," Downing said Thursday afternoon.
Neighbor Suzanne Thom said she believed that the person staying in the motor home had been squatting on vacant property.
Another neighbor witnessed someone staying in the RV "run like hell."
"People just park their stuff wherever if they're druggies," Thom said.
Art Turner, another neighbor, said the neighborhood has seen a rise over the past year in drug-related thefts, including construction equipment and wires and other metals from vacant houses.
Savanna Guest, who also lives in the neighborhood, said that a couple of weeks ago a burglary was thwarted at a house being restored after a February fire.
"I had a feeling something like this was going to happen," Guest said.
— Reach reporter Nick Morgan at 541-776-4471 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at @MTCrimeBeat.