If you skip breakfast because you are trying to save calories or you think you just don't have time, here's your wake-up call.
Breakfast eaters tend to be leaner and more successful at maintaining a healthy weight than people who miss their morning meal. Besides, studies show breakfast skippers make up for the calories by eating more later in the day.
Not only can breakfast help you stay lean, it gives you the energy you need to jump-start your day and get your brain working at its peak.
The perfect breakfast contains a whole-grain, a source of protein and a fruit or vegetable.
So a simple, fast bowl of whole-grain cereal with low-fat milk and fruit fits the bill perfectly. If you don't think you have time for even that, here are some breakfast options you can eat as you are running out the door.
- A whole-grain cereal bar, an apple and a skim latte.
- A whole-wheat English muffin with peanut butter and a juicy peach.
- A smoothie made with apples, berries, banana, vanilla yogurt and a chunk of tofu.
- A hard-boiled egg, some whole-grain crackers and a tangerine.
- Half a turkey sandwich with lettuce and tomato.