- Budding explorers and naturalists will want to try out the new and improved Discovery Kits available for kids 6-11 and their parents or guardians from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays through Aug. 25 at North Mountain Nature Center, 620 N. Mountain Ave., Ashland. The kits include information on aquatic insects, birds, geology, owl pellets, animal tracks and animal homes. The kits are available for a $10 refundable deposit. Call 488-6606.
- Kids are invited to make paper tissue leis at 11 a.m. Saturday at KIDS Discovery Place, 226 N. Ross Lane, Medford. KIDS is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $2 for adults, $5 for children. See www.discoveryspace.org or call 772-9922.
- As part of the "That's Amazing" festival at ScienceWorks, Rhys Thomas will present his new show, "Stunt Science," a blend of science, comedy and amazing feats from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday, and at 2 p.m. Sunday at the museum, 1500 E. Main St., Ashland. Admission to ScienceWorks is $7.50 adults, $5 children 2-12 and seniors over 65, and free to kids under 2. Summer hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Call 482-6767.
- The Oregon Quarter Horse Association's Oregon Summer Classic horse show continues today and Sunday at the Jackson County Fairgrounds, 1 Peninger Road, Medford. This is the fourth largest quarter horse show in the nation. Admission is free to spectators. Call 774-8270.
- Saturdays at dusk (approximately 9 p.m.), Medford offers free movies at Bear Creek Park amphitheater. This week's PG-rated feature "Little Giants" stars Rick Moranis and Ed O'Neill as coaches of rival peewee football teams. Bring blankets or chairs. For two hours before the movie, U.S. Cellular will provide free bottled water and snacks.
Medford offers free Concerts in the Park at 7 p.m. Sundays at the Bear Creek Park Amphitheater in Medford. This week the Northern California band Five A.M. plays soulful rock.
The Ashland City Band offers free weekly summer concerts at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Aug. 9 at the Butler Band Shell at Lithia Park in Ashland. Pre-concert entertainment begins at 6:30 p.m.
- The First and third Fridays of the month, North Mountain Park Nature Center holds a nature books summer storytime at 620 N. Mountain Ave., Ashland. Kids 2-4 with an adult are invited from 10:30 to 11 a.m.; kids 5-7 with an adult can attend from 11:30 to noon. Stories will follow a theme for each day. Topics will include geology, water, plants, animals, Native Americans and history. Participants are welcome to bring snacks and blankets to sit under the park's old apple trees. Register online at http://ashlandparks.recware.com or call the Nature Center at 488-6606.
- Central Point will offer a series of Friday Night Summer Festivals from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Fridays through Aug. 31 at Pfaff Park, at Sixth and Manzanita streets. Festivals include musical entertainment, crafts, jewelry, art, plants and food. Family Friday at the Movies follows at approximately 9 p.m. This week's feature is the animated film "Curious George," rated G (2006). Bring blankets or lawn chairs.
- Hot air balloons will illuminate the skies from Friday through Sunday, July 6-8, during the Rogue Valley Balloon Rally at the Rogue Valley International Medford Airport, 3650 Biddle Road, Medford. Call 664-1862.