- Looking for a good book? The Friends of Jacksonville Library will hold a book sale from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday at the Jacksonville Branch Library, 340 W. C. St., Jacksonville. Call 899-1725.
- The Santo Center invites kids and their parent or guardian to sing along, clap, dance, and play simple musical instruments to children's favorite tunes from noon to 12:45 p.m. at the Center, 701 N. Columbus Ave., Medford. Cost is $3. Day-care groups are welcome. Call 774-2400.
- Southern Oregon University's Department of Theatre Arts presents its annual children's theatre offering "Dick Whittington and His Amazing Cat" by Pat Hume at 2 and 7 p.m. today, with a matinee at 2 p.m. Sunday. This musical, in which Dick teams up with an extraordinary cat when he travels to seek his fortune in London, is filled with outrageous characters and will entertain children of all ages. Michael J. Hume of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival directs. Tickets are $18 regular, $16 senior, $5 students. Tickets are available at the door or by calling the SOU Theatre Arts Box Office at 552-6348. More information is available at sou.edu/theatre/calendar.
- The Sixth Annual Daddy-Daughter Dance, for girls 5 and up, will take place from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. today at the Red Lion Ballroom, 200 N. Riverside Ave., Medford. Cost is $26 per person and includes dinner and photos. Preregistration is required. Call 774-2000.
The Youth Symphony of Southern Oregon will perform at 3 p.m. at the SOU Music Recital Hall, 1250 Siskiyou Blvd., Ashland. The Recital Hall is off South Mountain Avenue, next to the Theatre Arts building. Tickets are $10 general admission and $5 students and seniors, and are available at Paddington Station in Ashland and Larry's Music in Medford. The concert will feature Youth Symphony co-concertmaster Taylor Anderson in a performance of movements from Khachaturian's "Concerto for Violin and Orchestra." They also will perform "Mars, Bringer of War" and "Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity" from "The Planets" by Holst. The Youth Orchestra will play Gliére's "Russian Sailor's Dance," "Orpheus in the Underworld" by Offenbach and the "Bacchanal from Samson and Delilah" by Saint-Saëns. Youth Strings will perform works by Vivaldi, Caponegro and Bartók. This year more than 160 students are participating in the three ensembles of the YSSO. For more information, contact the YSSO at 541-858-8859, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit: www.ysso.org.
- The Santo Center invites parents and their preschool-aged children to work together on art projects that any refrigerator would be proud to display. The arts and crafts class is held from noon to 1 p.m. every Monday at the Santo Center is at 701 N. Columbus Ave., Medford. Cost is $3 and a parent or guardian must be present. Day-care groups are welcome. Call 774-2400.
- The staff of the Medford Branch Library invites families to join them for a free family story time at 6 p.m. every Monday in the Children's Department at the Central Library, 205 S. Central Ave. The story time is geared toward kids 2-6 and will feature stories, music and finger plays. Older children might enjoy the program, as well. Call 774-8678.
Parents (or guardians) are invited to join their children in making a pop-bottle penguin at 11 a.m. Tuesday at Kid Time! (formerly known as Kids' Imagination Discovery Space), 226 N. Ross Lane, Medford. The activity is free with admission to the museum: $6 per child, $3 per adult.
Family Swim Night returns to the Ashland Family YMCA on Friday. From 6:30 to 9 p.m., all the lap-lane markers come out and the toys go in. Family swim night is free to families with at least one member, $8 for families without a YMCA member. All families are welcome. Call 482-9622, ext. 329.