- Kids Imagination Discover Space will celebrate its third anniversary from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today at 226 N. Ross Lane, Medford. It's a free family day with birthday cake, Wildlife Images, The Farm: Petting Zoo, Cold Stone Ice Cream tasting, Stanley's Inflatable Fun Bounce House, water fun, new exhibits, and a secret announcement.
- Oregon Caves National Monument will host its annual open house today with free admission for the general tour, ranger programs and nature walks through an old-growth forest, and an opportunity to visit the Oregon Caves Chateau. Young people who want to earn a Junior Ranger badge can pick up an activity book in the visitor center. Cave tours are limited to 15 people per tour and last approximately 80 minutes. Tours will begin at 9 a.m. and run every 10-15 minutes throughout the day, with the last tour at 6 p.m.
- The Ashland Renaissance Faire will be held from noon to 7 p.m. today at Jackson WellSprings, 2253 Highway 99 N., between Ashland and Talent. Muse Theatrix will produce the show and all proceeds from the fair will go back to the community. Admission is $5 adults, free for kids under 10. Call 251-4027.
- The City of Talent's Parks and Recreation Commission is planning a free picnic from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. today at Chuck Roberts Park in Talent. In addition to free hot dogs and hamburgers prepared by Fire District 5, there will be live entertainment by Cabin Fever, a live auction and demonstrations. Bring lawn chairs and blankets.
- "Bee Movie," the animated comedy about a worker bee who files suit against humans when he learns they've been stealing the bees' nectar, will begin about 9 tonight at Bear Creek Park amphitheater at Siskiyou and Highland in Medford.
Storyteller Dorothy Ormes will present a selection of stories from around the world at local libraries this week. Ormes' storytelling technique is as much acting as telling. Her free program will include at lease one bilingual story told in Spanish and English with universal themes that both children and parents will enjoy. Here's the schedule:
Monday: 3 p.m. Ashland Branch Library; 6 p.m. Medford Branch Library.
Tuesday: 10:30 a.m. Talent Branch Library; 2:30 p.m. Phoenix Branch Library.
Wednesday: 11 a.m. Prospect Branch Library.
Thursday: 2;30 p.m. White City Branch Library.
Friday: 2:30 p.m. Applegate Branch Library.
For information, contact your local library or visit www.jcls.org.
Ashland teens 12-18 are invited to participate in events at 3 p.m. every other Tuesday through Aug. 5 at the Ashland Branch, 410 Siskiyou Blvd., Ashland. This week's activity will be painting the teen department book cart and creating signs for the Teen Library.
Ashland City Band offers free hourlong concerts at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays at the Butler Band Shell in Lithia Park. The 70-member band plays selections ranging from show tunes and marches to standards classics. Bring lawn chairs or blankets.
Central Point holds Friday Night Festivals the second and fourth Friday of the month at Pfaff Park, Sixth and Manzanita streets. Hours are 5:30 to 11 p.m. with vendor booths open from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., and musical entertainment from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Friday's entertainment includes country music by Tom McReynolds and Ol' Stage Road, followed by the movie "Back to the Future."