- Ashland Airport will hold its annual open house from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. today at the airport, 403 Dead Indian Memorial Road, Ashland. There will be a pancake breakfast at 8 a.m. Young Eagles will offer free airplane rides for children 8-17 from 9:30 a.m. to noon, helicopter rides begin at 10 a.m., and there will be hands-on children's exhibits sponsored by ScienceWorks. Call 482-1008.
- The 17th Annual Dog Walk, an easy 3-mile walk between Hawthorne Park and Bear Creek Park will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. today. Registration opens at 8:30 a.m. at Hawthorne Park, 501 E. Main St., Medford. Cost is $20 per single registrant or $75 for a team or family of four. Registration includes continental breakfast and hotdog lunch, T-shirt and dog bandana. There will be a silent auction, raffle, contests, Rogue Canine Agility and Hearing Dog demonstrations and the Humane Rescue Rig from Tennessee will be available for tours.
- Oregon Caves National Monument at 19000 Caves Highway in Cave Junction, is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Cave tours last about 90 minutes and have a 16-person limit. The basic cave tour fee is $8.50 for adults and $6 for youth 16 and under. The cave temperature is in the low 40s, so bring warm clothing. Flashlights are not necessary. Children must be at least 42 inches tall to negotiate the cave's stairs and passageways. Call 541-592-2100.
- The Southern Oregon University Science Club presents Kids and Science Spring 2008, on from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today at Kids' Imagination Discovery Space, 226 N. Ross Lane, Medford. SOU students will present demonstrations and run hands-on workshops for children of all ages. See liquid nitrogen, vortex smoke rings, make polymer balls, launch Alka-Seltzer rockets, create shrinky-dinks, win a prize at ATOMS bingo, and more. Admission to KIDS will be free to the community on this special Kids and Science Day! Call 772-9922.
- "The Scheme of the Driftless Shifter," will be presented by Oregon Stage Works' Ashland Children's Theatre at 2 and 4 p.m. today and Sunday at Oregon Stage Works, 191 A St., Ashland. Tickets are $10 adults, $12 at the door, $5 for children 6-17 and $6 at the door. Tickets are available at The Music Coop in Ashland or at www.oregonstageworks.org. Call 482-2334.
- The 2008 Wild Rogue Pro Rodeo continues today at the Jackson County Fairgrounds & Expo Park, 1 Peninger Road, Central Point. Children's activities begin at 5:30 p.m. and include free pony and wagon rides and face painting followed by performances by the Southern Oregon Drill Team, made up of former high school equestrians. Rodeo events begin at 7 p.m. General admission is $14 in advance and $16 at the gate. Tickets are available at Big R, Sherm's Food 4 Less and Thunderbird in Medford. See www.jcfairgrounds.com.
- Talent Parks and Recreation is offering a youth and family recreation program. See www.cityoftalent.org or call 535-1566.
- Free guided nature walks through Ashland's Lithia Park are offered from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Sundays, Wednesdays and Friday, rain or shine. Trained volunteer naturalists from Ashland Parks and Recreation lead the easy walk through the park. Topics include trees, flowers, birds, climate, water, geology and the history of the park. Meet at the park entrance, across from the Plaza in Ashland. Call 552-2266.
- Ashland Artisan Gallery and Art Center at 163 N. Main St., Ashland, offers a Sunday Community Art event for the entire family from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sundays through Aug. 31. Cost is $5 per participant. Call 488-5698.
"Busy Buzzy Bugs" will be Monday's Family Storytime topic from 6 to 6:30 p.m. at the Medford Library, 205 S. Central Ave. Call 774-8678.
Kids play golf free after 4 p.m. on Fridays, with a paid adult fee, at Oak Knoll Golf Course, 3070 Highway 66, Ashland. Call 482-4311.
- The annual Gold Dust Day Festival and Fair will kick off with a parade at Patrick School at 10 a.m. Saturday, June 7. There will be draft horse wagon rides, gold panning, a raffle at the museum, book sale at the library, pony rides, food and vendor booths, an antique gun display, car and motorcycle show, old engines show, mule packing demo and for kids, a dragon obstacle course and haystack scramble.
- The Sixth Annual Free Trout Fishing Derby, for all age groups, is scheduled for 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday, June 8, at Lost Creek Lake in Takelma Park. Registration and sign-in will be held from 8:30 a.m. to noon at the Trout Central Station in Takelma Park. There will be a weight derby in each age group and lots of prizes for all ages. Call 245-0568.
"What to do" is a weekly listing of local events available to Rogue Valley families. For a complete rundown, see Tempo listings Fridays in the Mail Tribune. If you have an item of interest, send it to: What to do, Mail Tribune, P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR 97501.