The Sacred Walk to 2008 begins with an opening ceremony at 6 this evening at the Unitarian Center, 87 Fourth St., Ashland. The ninth annual labyrinth walk, with live music and moments of silence, offers a meditative alternative to celebrating the New Year. The labyrinth will be open until 10 p.m. today; from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. Dec. 30; from 4 a.m. Dec. 31 to 1 a.m. Jan. 1; and from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Jan. 1. Admission is by donation. Call 482-4132.
The Toy Science Festival is running through Jan. 20 at ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum, 1500 E. Main St., Ashland. Kids and adults will enjoy exploring classic and modern toys and watching the model train set in a townscape with tunnels and a river with a mini-camera mounted to the front of the train to allow visitors to experience the track from a train engineer's perspective. Museum hours are noon to 4 p.m. Sundays, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday. Admission is $7.50, $5 for children 2-12 and seniors over 65. Call 482-6767 or see scienceworksmuseum.org.
- Darex Family Ice Rink will hold an open skate (weather permitting) from noon to 4:30 p.m. New Year's Eve at the rink across from Lithia Park at the corner of Nutley Street and Winburn Way in Ashland. Admission is $2.50 youth, $3 adults and skate rental is $2. Call 488-9189.
- The Ashland Family YMCA invites kids in first through fifth grades to celebrate the New Year with their friends at a slumber party at the YMCA, 540 YMCA Way, Ashland. The party starts at 6:30 p.m. New Years' Eve and ends at 10 a.m. New Year's Day. The event will include a pizza dinner, swimming, games, basketball, music, dancing, movies and popcorn and a continental breakfast the next morning. Preregistration is required. Cost is $35 for Y members, $50 for the community. Call 482-9622.
- Southern Oregon Drug Awareness (SODA) Teen Leadership Group will throw a New Year's Eve party for all high school aged youth beginning at 9 p.m. New Year's Eve at Vibes Main 1, 821 N. Riverside Ave., Medford. Deejay Tim Poppa from "Spotlight's on You," will play a variety of music throughout the night. There will also be a dance-off competition. Tickets are $8 in advance and $10 at the door. Guests are encouraged to get their tickets early. Tickets may be purchased at Bad Ass Coffee, 143 S. Riverside Ave., Medford, or Six One Nine in the Rogue Valley Mall. For more information, call Main 1 at 618-VIBE.
- Roller Odyssey will hold a New Year's Eve party for the whole family beginning at 8:30 p.m. Monday at 2425 S. Pacific Highway, Medford. There will be a skate from 8:30 to 11 p.m. and a dance from 11 to 12:30 p.m. Admission is $20 and includes skate rental. Call 772-1400.
- Darex Family Ice Rink will offer an open skate (weather permitting) from noon to 4:30 p.m. New Year's Day at the rink across from Lithia Park in Ashland. Admission is $2.50 youth, $3 adults, and skate rental is $2.
- Roller Odyssey will hold a New Year's Day Skate from 1:15 to 4 p.m. Tuesday at 2425 S. Pacific Highway, Medford. Admission is $10 and includes skate rental and lunch. Call 772-1400.