- ScienceWorks, at 1500 E. Main St., Ashland, is open from 10 to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Summer events include Awesome Animals today and tomorrow. From noon to 2 p.m. today, WildLife Safari will present an "Out of Park Encounter" live reptile show. The educational talk will include a bearded dragon, a ball python, a red-tailed boa, a corn snake a 2-year-old alligator and a California desert tortoise. On Sunday, at 1 p.m. experience a live bird show from WildLife Images including raptors and a bald eagle. At 2:30 p.m. Southern Oregon Human Society will offer a special presentation "Ducky" the dog," an ambassador and entertainer who helps Jackson County students learn about kindness, respect, empathy and compassion. Admission is $7.50 and $5 for kids 2-12 and seniors over 65. Call 482-6767.
- Kids 6-11 and their parents or guardians are invited to explore North Mountain Park using the park's Discovery Kits that are available for checkout from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays through Aug. 25. The kits include information on aquatic insects, birds, geology and animal tracks and homes and are available for a $10 refundable deposit. The park is at 620 N. Mountain Ave., Ashland. Call 488-6606.
- Saturdays at dusk, Medford offers free movies at Bear Creek Park amphitheater. This week's feature is "Happy Feet" (PG). Bring blankets or chairs. For two hours before the movie, U.S. Cellular will provide free bottled water and snacks.
Medford offers free Concerts in the Park at 7 p.m. Sundays at the Bear Creek Park Amphitheater in Medford. This week features the pop-rock quintet, The Retrofits.
Ballet in the Park presents a free ballet performance from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Monday at the Butler Band Shell in Ashland's Lithia Park.
The Ashland City Band offers free weekly summer concerts at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Aug. 9 at the Butler Band Shell at Lithia Park in Ashland. Pre-concert entertainment begins at 6:30 p.m.
- North Mountain Park Nature Center, 620 N. Mountain Ave., Ashland, offers Nature Books Summer Story Time, for kids 5-7 accompanied by an adult, from 10:30 to 11 a.m. the first and third Friday of each month through August. Bring snacks and blankets. It's free. Call 488-6606 to register.
- Central Point offers Friday Night Summer Festivals from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Fridays through Aug. 31 at Pfaff Park, at Sixth and Manzanita streets. The festivals include musical entertainment, crafts, jewelry, art, plants and food. Family Friday at the Movies follows at dusk. This week's feature is "Over the Hedge" (PG). Bring blankets or lawn chairs.
Kids 5-12, accompanied by an adult, are invited to decorate an art caddy for back to school from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Aug. 4, at Home Depot, 3345 N. Phoenix Road, Phoenix. It's free and complimentary art caddies and tools will be provided. Kids also will receive a kid-sized Home Depot apron.