- The second Cardboard Boat Race Challenge will be held today at Hawthorne Pool in Medford. Check-in begins at 9 a.m., with a rules meeting at 9:30 a.m. A boat judging, to determine the best design and best decorated boat, will follow. Entry fees are as follows: Youth division, 14 years and under: $5; adult division, 15 years and older: $5; City Council, media and business division: $25. There is also a "Titanic" award for the first boat to sink. Ribbons will be given to the place winners. Call 774-2484.
- Saturdays at dusk, Medford offers free movies at Bear Creek Park amphitheater. This week's feature is "Back to the Future" (PG). Bring blankets or chairs. For two hours prior to the movie, U.S. Cellular will provide free bottled water and snacks.
- Kids can enjoy rides on small-scale steam and diesel trains, look at miniature train exhibits and send telegrams on an antique telegraph service from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. the second and fourth Sunday of each month at Medford's Railroad Park at Table Rock Road and Berrydale Avenue, a few blocks from the Rogue Valley Mall. Hours are 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and admission is free. Donations accepted. Call 535-7952 or 944-9176.
- Medford offers free Concerts in the Park at 7 p.m. Sundays at the Bear Creek Park Amphitheater in Medford. This week features Bluesdusters.
- Kid's Imagination Discovery Place, 226 N. Ross Lane, Medford, is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. KIDS' has a literacy corner, a child-size grocery store, construction zone, waterworks, toddler town, art space and a full-service café. Admission is $2 for adults, $5 for children. See www.discoveryspace.org or call 772-9922.
- Ballet in the Park presents a free performance from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Monday at the Butler Band Shell in Ashland's Lithia Park.
ScienceWorks, at 1500 E. Main St., Ashland is open from 10 to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. Awesome Animals will be the subject from July 25-29. From noon to 2 p.m. Saturday, July 28, Wildlife Safari will present "Out of Park Encounter" with a live reptile show. The talk will include a bearded dragon, a ball python, a red-tailed boa, a corn snake, a 2-year-old alligator and a desert tortoise. On Sunday, July 29, experience a bird show from Wildlife Images including a bald eagle. At 2:30 p.m. there will be a presentation from the Southern Oregon Humane Society and "Ducky the Dog," who helps students learn about kindness, respect and compassion.
The Ashland City Band offers free weekly summer concerts at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Aug. 9 at the Butler Band Shell at Lithia Park in Ashland. Pre-concert entertainment begins at 6:30 p.m.
- Ashland Parks and Recreation's "Movies on the Range," will be held at Oak Knoll Golf Course, 3070 Highway 66, Ashland. Shows begin at dusk. Golf course staff will lead games. This week's movie is "Akeelah and the Bee" (PG).
- Central Point offers Friday Night Summer Festivals from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Fridays through Aug. 31 at Pfaff Park, at Sixth and Manzanita streets. The festivities include musical entertainment, crafts, jewelry, art, plants and food. Family Friday at the Movies follows. This week's feature is "Yours, Mine and Ours" (PG). Bring blankets or lawn chairs.