The bedroom is easily the most personal room in our homes. For too many couples, the bedroom is functional space, often the last room in the house to be decorated. But by choosing the right bedroom furniture (and with a little planning), it can become a shared sanctuary that calms, centers and energizes.
Davis Remignanti, FurnitureFind.com's lead design consultant, offers these easy design tips on how your bedroom furniture and decor can transform the most traditional "sleep space" into an instant (and romantic) getaway:
- Get away from it all: Start by thinking "Sanctuary" and begin designing your bedroom with a focus on your favorite pastimes. Whether reading, exercising or listening to music, don't crowd the activities you both love — provide the desk space, storage, or comfy seating they require. The right bedroom furniture will enhance the hours you spend at these activities.
- Savor your Zzzzzs: At the end of the day, the bedroom is about sleeping, and your bed is where you likely spend around a third of each day. Since a good night's sleep will make all the difference tomorrow, consider upgrading your mattress or simply adding fresh new bedding. Then, stretch out and relax.
- Shun the distractions: Escape from the world by hiding away larger electronics — television, stereo components and computer — in an armoire that provides easy access to your media channels when you want them, but is even easier on the eyes when you don't.
- Showcase your passion: If you love it, let it show. When redecorating the bedroom, resist the impulse to pack away mementoes. Instead, look for opportunities to showcase the souvenirs and photos you love. A true retreat is not just a getaway, but a celebration of your shared passions.
- Look up: Don't forget your vertical space. Carry your retreat design theme into the third dimension by updating your walls with a fresh new color. You can also put them to work: Walls are an underutilized resource. Examine where you can enhance the look of your bedroom furniture with a new piece of artwork.
- Lighten up your outlook: Any room makeover calls for a fresh look at lighting. Survey your bedroom as a whole, keeping in mind specific task needs. Lighting requirements will differ greatly from your dressing, activity and sleeping areas. For extra convenience, as well as added ambiance, consider putting your primary lights on a dimmer switch.
- Feel groovy: When accessorizing, feel the energy of Feng Shui by following the practice originated in China of honoring the environment — indoors. Where possible, introduce water, wind chimes, color and crystals into your bedroom design to enhance the positive energy and romantic appeal.