Rankings for hard-cover books sold in Southern California, as reported by selected book stores:
1. "Dead Reckoning," by Charlaine Harris. Sookie Stackhouse becomes more entwined in vampire games.
2. "The Fifth Witness," by Michael Connelly. Foreclosure may be tied to a banker's murder in this Mickey Haller novel.
3. "She Walks in Beauty," by Caroline Kennedy. A collection of poems on the joys and challenges of womanhood.
4. "The Tiger's Wife," by Tea Obreht. A young doctor in the Balkans recalls tales from her dear grandfather.
5. "The Throne of Fire," by Rick Riordan. The Kane siblings search for the Book of Ra in this second of a three-part series.
6. "10th Anniversary," by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro. The search for a murderer and a baby strains a detective's marriage.
7. "Sixkill," by Robert B. Parker. The last Spenser novel by the late author teams up the P.I. with a bad-boy actor's bodyguard.
8. "The Pale King," by David Foster Wallace. The late author's unfinished novel explores life's meaning in an IRS office.
9. "Catching Fire," by Suzanne Collins. The winners of the Hunger Games face the consequences of their victory.
10. "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," by Stieg Larsson. The final book of the "Millennium Trilogy" has Lisbeth Salander in peril.
1. "Bossypants," by Tina Fey. How the self-deprecating actress and writer rocked the comedy world.
2. "Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?" by Steven Tyler. A no-holds-barred memoir by Aerosmith's singer.
3. "If You Ask Me," by Betty White. Insights from the feisty octogenarian.
4. "Stories I Only Tell My Friends," by Rob Lowe. The former Brat Packer writes frankly of his early partying days.
5. "Good Stuff," by Jennifer Grant. The daughter of Cary Grant reminisces about life with her movie star dad.
6. "A Singular Woman," by Janny Scott. The life of Stanley Ann Dunham, mother of Barack Obama.
7. "Unbroken," by Laura Hillenbrand. The story of Louis Zamperini: World War II bombardier, POW and Olympian.
8. "I'm Over All That," by Shirley MacLaine. The award-winning actress on love, annoyances and more.
9. "Guy Fieri Food," by Guy Fieri. The gregarious Food Network star shares new recipes and dishes.
10. "My Lucky Life In and Out of Show Business," by Dick Van Dyke. The comedic actor muses on his career.