Rankings for hard-cover books sold in Southern California, as reported by selected book stores:
1. "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," by Stieg Larsson. The final book of the "Millennium Trilogy" has Lisbeth Salander in peril.
2. "A Discovery of Witches," by Deborah Harkness. Vampires, demons and witches plot to steal a magical book from a professor.
3. "Swamplandia!" by Karen Russell. Abandoned at her family's Everglades theme park, a teen journeys to the underworld to find her sister.
4. "Freedom," by Jonathan Franzen. The breakdown of a Midwestern family.
5. "The Inner Circle," by Brad Meltzer. A hidden document in the national archives leads to high-level conspiracy linked to the president.
6. "The Help," by Kathryn Stockett. The Southern lives of a maid, cook and college graduate intertwine.
7. "Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk," by David Sedaris. Quirky animal fables.
8. "Room," by Emma Donoghue. A 5-year-old boy is imprisoned in a 12-by-12 room.
9. "An Object of Beauty," by Steve Martin. An ambitious young art dealer knows the art of manipulation.
10. "Tick Tock," by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge. Detective Michael Bennett is called on to solve a rash of horrifying crimes in New York City.
1. "Unbroken," by Laura Hillenbrand. The story of Louis Zamperini: World War II bombardier, POW and Olympian.
2. "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother," by Amy Chua. Why Chinese mothers raise children who are superior.
3. "Life," by Keith Richards with James Fox. The seemingly eternal musician shares his life as a Rolling Stone.
4. "Cleopatra," by Stacy Schiff. The infamous queen of Egypt as a political power player.
5. "Known and Unknown," by Donald Rumsfeld. The former Defense secretary defends his record and settles scores.
6. "The Rules According to JWOWW," by Jenni Farley with Sheryl Berk. Advice from the "Jersey Shore" star on how to keep your man in check.
7. "Of Thee I Sing," by Barack Obama. The president invites children into the worlds of 13 famous Americans.
8. "The Hidden Reality," by Brian Greene (Knopf: $29.95) An explanation of modern theoretical physics and cosmology for the layperson.
9. "Decision Points," by George W. Bush (Crown: $35) Critical choices that shaped the former president's time in the White House.
10. "At Home," by Bill Bryson. What the rooms in our homes reveal about us.