Rankings for hard-cover books sold in Southern California, as reported by selected book stores:
1. "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," by Stieg Larsson. The final book of the "Millennium Trilogy" has Lisbeth Salander in peril.
2. "An Object of Beauty," by Steve Martin. An ambitious young art dealer knows the art of manipulation.
3. "The Sentry," by Robert Crais. After saving a man from an attack, former mercenary Joe Pike is drawn into a web of deception and murder.
4. "The Help," by Kathryn Stockett. The Southern lives of a maid, cook and college graduate intertwine.
5. "While Mortals Sleep," by Kurt Vonnegut. Previously unpublished stories from the writer's early days.
6. "Swamplandia!" by Karen Russell. Abandoned at her family's Everglades theme park, a teen journeys to the underworld to find her sister.
7. "Room," by Emma Donoghue. A 5-year-old boy is imprisoned in a 12-by-12 room.
8. "Tick Tock," by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge. Detective Michael Bennett is called on to solve a rash of horrifying crimes in New York City.
9. "Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth," by Jeff Kinney. Greg confronts puberty without his best friend.
10. "The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake," by Aimee Bender. Rose Edelstein's gift of taste is bittersweet.
1. "Cleopatra," by Stacy Schiff. The infamous queen of Egypt as a political power player.
2. "Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother," by Amy Chua. Why Chinese mothers raise children who are superior.
3. "Unbroken," by Laura Hillenbrand. The story of Louis Zamperini: World War II bombardier, POW and Olympian.
4. "Life," by Keith Richards with James Fox. The seemingly eternal musician shares his life as a Rolling Stone.
5. "The Hidden Reality," by Brian Greene. A comprehensible explanation of modern theoretical physics and cosmology.
6. "The Investment Answer," by Daniel C. Goldie and Gordon S. Murray. Investing in layman's terms.
7. "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks," by Rebecca Skloot. What a poor black woman's cancer cells did for science and didn't do for her family.
8. "Sexy Forever," by Suzanne Somers. Keys to fighting toxins, losing weight and staying healthy.
9. "How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming," by Mike Brown. How and why Pluto was reclassified as a dwarf planet.
10. "The 4-Hour Body," by Timothy Ferriss. How to produce the best physical results with small changes.