Arizona State QB Threet ends football career
TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona State quarterback Steven Threet had decided to walk away from football after suffering four concussions in five years, including two this past fall.
Threet says he had concussions on Oct. 23 at California and another Nov. 26 against UCLA that ended his junior year.
He told The Arizona Republic on Wednesday that he's still experiencing symptoms from the last concussion, including headaches and trouble sleeping. Threet also suffered concussions his senior year at Adrian (Mich.) High School and in 2008 while playing at Michigan.
Threet beat out Brock Osweiler and Samson Szakacsy in a tight battle for the starting job that started in spring that lasted until just before the season started. As a junior, he threw for 2,534 yards and 18 touchdowns with 16 interceptions, and was sacked 23 times.
Threet says he's on schedule to graduate in May.
His decision likely means Osweiler will be the starting quarterback entering spring practice. He threw for 797 yards and five touchdowns and no interceptions in six games and started the season finale against Arizona, leading the Sun Devils to a 30-29 overtime win in Tucson.
Arizona State also will be thin on experience at quarterback after Szakacsy decided to leave the program.
HOUSTON — A person with knowledge of the procedure says Houston Texans Pro Bowl running back Arian Foster, the NFL's leading rusher in 2010, has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.
The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because neither Foster nor the team has publicly disclosed the details, called Wednesday's procedure "minor" and said Foster was already walking again.
The 24-year-old Foster rushed for 1,616 yards in his first full season starting for the Texans. The undrafted free agent who signed with the Texans in May 2009 also led the league in yards from scrimmage (2,220), rushing touchdowns (16) and first downs gained (123), all single-season franchise records.
Vision Aviation Racing penalized after Waltrip win
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — NASCAR has penalized the Truck Series team Michael Waltrip drove for at Daytona International Speedway.
Waltrip won the season-opening truck race for Vision Aviation Racing. NASCAR found that his spoiler had broken over the closing laps.
NASCAR on Wednesday fined crew chief Doug Howe $25,000 and placed him on probation until Dec. 31.
Team owner Billy Ballew was docked 25 championship owner points.
Waltrip was not docked any points because he did not receive any for the event. He's only collecting points in the Sprint Cup Series this season.
10 of 18 teams will now advance to MLS playoffs
NEW YORK — The top three teams in each of Major League Soccer's two conference will be joined in the playoffs this fall by the next four teams with the highest point totals.
The playoffs expand by two teams this year to 10 with the league increasing to 18 teams with the addition of the Portland Timbers and Vancouver Whitecaps.
Last year, the playoffs include the two conference champions and the next six teams.
The playoff expansion was announced last fall, with the format announced Wednesday.
The four teams not guaranteed automatic berths from their conference will play one-match knockout games hosted by higher seeds. The winners advance to the home-and-home, total-goals conference semifinals. The conference finals will remain one-match knockout games, as will the MLS Cup.
Compiled from wire reports