Sanity or fear, you choose

Comedians are marching on Washington this morning, but folks who stayed in the Rogue Valley still have opportunity to get a piece of the action.

Residents Linda Merryman and Kim and Ed Keller have organized an Ashland "Rally to Restore Sanity" "March to Keep Fear Alive" from 9 a.m. to noon today at the Ashland Plaza. Drummers, dancers and comedy are planned, and organizers ask participants to come dressed as what they fear most.

The Ashland event is, of course, a nod to today's gathering of strange bedfellows in the nation's capital, where left-leaning comedian Jon Stewart plans a "Rally to Restore Sanity" and right-leaning comedian Steven Colbert plans a "March to Keep Fear Alive." Both events start at noon Eastern time, or 9 a.m. locally.

The joint march will be broadcast live on Comedy Central and streamed online. Louie's Bar & Grill on the Plaza will broadcast the rallies on large-screen televisions, organizers of the local rally said.

Stewart has said about 80 percent of the population could agree on real solutions for the troubled times in which we live. But it is the other 15 to 20 percent of the population — the "loud folks," he calls them — who have dominated our national conversation on important issues.

Details on the local rally:

Share This Story