Preschooler injured during play, man charged in death says in affidavit

A man facing multiple murder charges in the death of his girlfriend’s preschool-aged daughter two weeks ago told a Medford police detective that he was roughhousing with the girl when she stopped breathing and, upset by what he had done, he threw her onto a bed so hard that she “flew off and hit her head on the wall.”

Now available in court records, an affidavit by Medford police Detective Katie Ivens describes how Benjamin James George, 29, lied, first to his girlfriend, Michelle Lunsford, and then to police, before admitting what had seriously injured Kacy Sue Lunsford.

Kacy died June 15, less than two weeks before her third birthday, when she was taken off life support at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland.

While she was treated initially at Providence Medford Medical Center, doctors summoned police at about 5 a.m. on June 12 to investigate the nature of her head injuries. She had subdural hematomas, bleeding on the brain that can be caused by shaking or a blow to the head, on the right side of her brain, reports say.

The little girl was whisked to Portland, and Detective Ivens was called out to learn more about what had happened, the affidavit says.

Police were told that Kacy had hit her head while at the park with George, Ivens wrote in her affidavit. Police reports released earlier indicated the injury likely happened the previous evening, on June 11.

But when Ivens took a statement from George at midmorning, after Kacy had gone into surgery at Doernbecher, she learned “he had lied about the injury,” she wrote.

After being informed of his rights not to speak or to have an attorney present, “George confessed to playing too rough with the victim and that while doing a wrestling ‘move’ he caused the victim to stop breathing,” Ivens wrote.

Upset over his actions, he threw the little girl onto a bed so hard that she flew off and smashed her head against a wall. He told the detective that Kacy then began vomiting and he called her mother “and lied about her true condition.”

Kacy underwent two surgeries in Portland and remained in critical condition. On June 15, the family decided to remove life support and she died.

- Anita Burke

Share This Story