Medford police still sorting out road-rage shooting

Investigators this afternoon are still trying to piece together what roles three men played in a Saturday night road-rage incident in which a gunshot was fired from one vehicle into another, but no one was hurt, authorities said.

Medford Police Department investigators believe they know the three suspects in the 10:12 p.m. shooting at the intersection of Stewart and Oakdale avenues. The shooting happened following an argument between two groups in separate cars, police said.

The three suspects have been interviewed by police and two were arrested on unrelated charges of probation violation, but investigators are still trying to determine who was driving and who fired the shot in the incident, Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said this afternoon.

"We want to get a little more proof of who's doing the shooting," Hansen said. "They're not all telling us the truth."

A preliminary investigation shows that three men in a Ford Aspire and two victims in an Accura Integra were traveling west on Stewart Avenue from Riverside Avenue when an argument between the two parties erupted, police said.

As the Integra turned onto Oakdale Avenue, someone inside the Aspire fired a shot from a .22-caliber pistol, with the bullet striking the rear passenger area of the Integra, Hansen said.

Law enforcement from throughout the Rogue Valley were looking for the Aspire when a Central Point police officer spied the car and stopped it near the intersection of Columbus Avenue and Bryant Street, police said.

The driver fled on foot, but he was apprehended a short time later with the help of a Medford canine team, police said.

Police arrested the 23-year-old driver Russell Wayne Sewell Jr., of Medford, for allegedly violating his parole from an earlier conviction of hit-and-run driving that resulted in an injury. Also arrested was Juvenal Adan Vega, 25, of Medford, for allegedly violating his parole from a previous third-degree assault conviction. Police have previously identified Vega as a suspected gang member.

The third man was not arrested and police didn't release his identity.

— Mark Freeman

Share This Story