Medford man charged in two shootings this month

Police have tied a Medford man to a pair of shootings that occurred over the past two weeks.

Russell Wayne Sewell is the primary suspect in the recent shootings, one occurring Saturday night during a road-rage incident and the other during a robbery on Haven Street in Medford.

"He's kind of went off the deep end lately," Medford police Detective Sgt. Mike Budreau said. "These are not even his first brushes with the law."

Medford detectives have named Sewell, 23, as the shooter in the road-rage incident that happened at Saturday night. Sewell was one of three men inside a car who began arguing with the driver of another car at the intersection of Stewart and Oakdale avenues.

Sewell allegedly fired a .22-caliber handgun at the other car, which contained students from Cascade Christian High School. The bullet struck the car in the rear passenger area.

During the investigation into the car shooting, detectives were able to link Sewell to a robbery on Haven Street that occurred May 18.

Sewell reportedly entered a residence and shot a 22-year-old man in the foot. He then fled with money and a cell phone.

Sewell is lodged in the Jackson County Jail on numerous felonies stemming from these crimes.

He is charged with two counts of attempted first-degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon, being a felon in possession of a firearm, attempting to elude police on foot, and possession of methamphetamine.

The Haven Street shooting earned him charges of first-degree robbery, second-degree assault and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

He is jailed without bail.

Sewell has been on Medford police radar since he was 18 years old, Budreau said.

"He has been arrested off and on for a while now," Budreau said. "But he has seemed to up the ante this time by firing shots at people. This guy is just dangerous."

Jackson County Court records show Sewell has a string of felony convictions including burglary, assault, theft and eluding dating back to 2004.

Sewell made news early last year when he was the target of a murder plot. Several young men conspired to kill Sewell after he beat up one of their friends.

The group crept up to Sewell's house late at night on Jan. 5, 2010, and set the porch on fire. Sewell was asleep inside and was not injured.

— Chris Conrad

Share This Story