May 30, 1913

F.C. Preston of San Francisco, one of the heirs of the Preston estate, and representative of one of the oldest and wealthiest of California families, has purchased from the Cantrell estate a farm near the junction of the Little and Big Applegate rivers, consisting of 483 acres, paying for the place $13,250. He will at once erect a bungalow and make the place his summer home.

The farm adjoins the Cameron estate and is one of the best in the valley. There are 90 acres of bottomland in alfalfa and 100 acres of bench and hill land in grain.

The sale was made by Moose Barkdull of the firm Harris & Barkdull. The tract is one of several that Ad Wolgast, former lightweight champion, secured an option on while visiting here, but allowed to lapse.


Rose and flower vandals got busy in the early hours of Decoration Day and mutilated numerous rosebushes and shrubs throughout the city. In many instances they were not content to take the flowers unhidden, but slashed the tops of bushes, including snow-ball bushes, syringas and other flowering shrubs, both along the streets and in the yards of many residences.

Oakdale Avenue suffered especially from the vandals.


The worst-managed fire fight in a long time aided in the destruction of the upper portion of the bungalow home of B.S. Radclif on Clark Street between Central and the railroad at 10 o'clock Friday morning. But two of the paid fire department were on deck when the alarm sounded to man the auto truck and it sped with these two at the scene. It took a comparatively long time to get into action with the water. Though the rear roof was ablaze at their arrival, valuable time was lost in attempting to reach the source of the flames from the interior, the hose being carried upstairs to play on the ceiling. By the time this effort was abandoned, the entire roof was ablaze but was soon extinguished by playing the house from the outside.

None of the family were home at the time. The fire, which evidently was caused by a defective flue, originated in the roof rafters and was seen by a passing switch engine on the Southern Pacific, which gave the alarm. Passers-by and neighbors kept the fire down by playing a garden hose on the roof until the arrival of the department. While the fire boys were getting into action, the crowd moved out most of the furniture and fixtures from the lower floor.

Share This Story