Permits to gather Matsutake mushrooms in the Medicine Lake Highlands regions of Klamath and Modoc national forests are now available, according to a news release.
Those wanting to pick for four consecutive days can harvest up to eight gallons, and can obtain a $20 permit. For those wanting harvesting privileges that span one month, permits are $50, and up to 20 gallons can be harvested. Those wanting a permit for an entire season can get one for $100 and can harvest up to 40 gallons.
Mushroom harvesting is also allowed without a permit at up to one gallon a day per person. Those under 18 years of age must be supervised by an adult.
Permits issued for the Klamath National Forest are not valid in the Modoc National Forest, and vice versa.
Permits are available at the following locations and times Monday through Friday:
- Happy Camp/Oak Knoll Ranger District, Happy Camp, Calif., 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call 530-493-2243 for more information.
- Salmon/Scott River Ranger District, Fort Jones, Calif., 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call 530-468-5351 for more information.
- Goosenest Ranger District, Macdoel, Calif., 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call 530-398-4391 for more information.
- Doublehead Ranger District, Modoc National Forest; Tulelake, Calif., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 530-667-2246 for more information.
- Big Valley Ranger District, Modoc National Forest; Adin, Calif., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 530-299-3215 for more information.
For more information, visit www.fs.usda.gov/klamath or www.fs.fed.us/r5/modoc.