Man's oxygen gear may have caused fatal fire

Authorities have identified a Williams man found dead in a travel trailer that burned Wednesday afternoon.

The man, David J. Megla, 64, lived in the trailer at 310 Pine Tree Drive, Josephine County Sheriff Gil Gilbertson said. He had emphysema and relied on oxygen and that equipment may have caused the fire, Gilbertson said.

At about 1 p.m. Wednesday a neighbor heard an explosion, saw a plume of smoke and called 9-1-1. Williams Fire District firefighters arrived to find the travel trailer engulfed in flames.

When the flames were extinguished, Megla's body was found inside. The sheriff's department sent a detective, and state fire marshals working with Oregon State Police also studied the scene and will complete a report with details about the cause of the fire and cause of death. That report isn't complete yet.

— Anita Burke

Share This Story