July 25, 1913

Mrs. Owen Kneutzen, wife of Jake Kneutzen, and a resident of Thompson Creek, was held to the grand jury in Justice Taylor's court yesterday afternoon on a charge of assault with intent to kill, committed on the person of Mrs. Philo Blivens. On account of five small children, Mrs. Kneutzen's bond was fixed at the nominal sum of $500, although the evidence submitted by the state made out a very grave case against the defendant. The defendant's bond was given by Lee Harrington and Oscar Knox.

Mrs. Blivens, a frail and aged woman, was on the stand nearly two hours and told the story of the assault in detail and in a manner that carried conviction. According to Mrs. Blivens, Mrs. Kneutzen, who lives just across the road from the Blivens's place, had been quarrelsome and threatening for some days before July 13.

On July 13, when Mrs. Blivens was returning from a place in the timber where her husband was engaged in slashing poles, she suddenly heard a voice behind her, which she recognized as Mrs. Kneutzen's saying, "I have waited a week to get you and now ———— you I'll kill you." At the same time she felt a stunning blow to the back. Before losing consciousness she saw Mrs. Kneutzen seize her by the left hand and felt the crunching of the bones that bereft her of consciousness. When she recovered, she saw Mrs. Kneutzen at some distance hurrying through the gate into the Kneutzen place.

Realizing that she had been seriously injured, she started for Elmore's, a nearby neighbor, to telephone for a doctor. Holding her broken arm upright, with the blood oozing through the fingers that held it and the bone protruding through the flesh. She was, again accosted by Mrs. Kneutzen, this time accompanied by her husband, and again Mrs. Kneutzen threatened to kill her. Kneutzen tried to pacify his wife, but the frenzied woman threatened to knock him down. Both followed her to Elmore's gate, where Mrs. Kneutzen would not permit her husband to open the gate for the injured woman, saying that she might lay in the road and rot before she would permit him to render her any assistance.

Mrs. Blivens was corroborated by Joe Elmore, who heard Mrs. Kneutzen threaten to kill Mrs. Blivens on July 10, and by two young ladies who heard part of the obscene, abusive language and threats directed at Mrs. Blivens after the assault had been committed.

Mrs. Kneutzen, a strong and husky appearing young woman, seemed inclined to regard the proceedings with some levity at the outset, but as the state's case against her unfolded this was dissipated and at the conclusion of the trial she broke down in tears.

Share This Story