Garage burns on Highway 238

A fire destroyed a garage with an apartment above it this morning in the Applegate Valley.

The blaze was reported at 10:29 a.m. and the building, at 17620 Highway 238, was engulfed by flames when firefighters arrived. A retired firefighter driving by had reported that everyone was out of the building before crews arrived. The resident, Alvin Woodriff, had minor burns on his legs, but declined an ambulance ride, opting instead to have his daughter take him to a hospital to be examined.

Applegate Fire District No. 9, Williams and Rural Metro fire departments all responded to the fire. The flames were all extinguished by 11:30 a.m., but the burned hulk of a car parked in the garage was the only identifiable part of the rubble.

Crews planned to remain on the scene to make sure no hot spots persisted this afternoon.

Share This Story