Kevin Lyle Hawkins

Fingerprints identify man suspected in bat attack, robbery

Medford police have arrested a man they suspect beat and robbed another man in a fit of jealousy over a woman last month at a downtown Medford motel.

A fingerprint found on a cellphone that was taken during the attack, then found discarded in a nearby yard, helped police identify Kevin Lyle Hawkins, 33, who was charged this week with second-degree assault and two counts of first-degree robbery.

Hawkins was identified as a suspect days after the Aug. 21 assault at the Valli Hai Motel, 1034 Court St., Medford, police reported.

A bat-wielding robber forced his way into a room at the motel, hit a 44-year-old man about the head and torso with a bat and knocked him unconscious. The robber took items, including a cellphone, from the victim and left with a 25-year-old woman who was also in the room, police said.

The injured man was hospitalized and spent time in the intensive care unit. Police said he has been released from the hospital and is still recovering.

On the night of the assault and robbery, investigators found the victim's cellphone in the backyard of a home in the 500 block of Beatty Street, police said. It was tested for fingerprints and, last week, the fingerprint analysis identified Hawkins, who was lodged in the Jackson County Jail on other charges at the time.

On Aug. 23, two days after the attack at the Valli Hai, the woman who was taken from the room was assaulted by Hawkins, with whom she had recently broken up, Medford police Lt. Mike Budreau said.

She told police that she awakened to find Hawkins had come into her home through a window and was standing over her looking through her cellphone. When she confronted him, he punched her, Budreau said.

Police found Hawkins several hours later hiding in a backyard in the 500 block of Boardman Street, Medford. He was arrested on charges of fourth-degree assault, harassment and criminal mischief.

Investigators noted that Hawkins generally matched the description of the assailant at the motel, and his jealousy about his ex-girlfriend's new relationship would have given him a motive, Budreau said. However, he denied being involved.

While in jail on the charges linked to hitting his ex-girlfriend, he continued to call her repeatedly, prompting detectives to file a stalking charge against him Sept. 5.

He was still in jail on that charge when the fingerprint analysis linked him to the motel attack, Budreau said.

“That worked out really well,” Budreau said. “This was a cool case in that we got the fingerprints and the guy stayed in jail, so we didn't have to go look for him.”

Jackson County Circuit Court records show that Hawkins pleaded guilty on Tuesday to two counts of fourth-degree assault and stalking, all related to his behavior toward his former girlfriend. He remains in jail on $250,000 bail on the assault and robbery charges stemming from the attack at the motel.

Share This Story