Explosions reported as Eagle Point fire burns shop

Firefighters could hear explosions going off as they rolled up to a fire early this morning near Eagle Point that burned a two-story, 4,000-square-foot shop on a residential property in the 1000 block of Palima Drive.

The explosions were caused by propane tanks going off in a 26-foot motor home and 28-foot travel trailer parked near the shop, which was fully involved by the time crews arrived from Jackson County Fire District No. 3, said district spokesman Don Hickman.

The fire, reported at 4:43 a.m., destroyed the vehicles and the shop, which was filled with household belongings, Hickman said.

The shop was unoccupied and no injuries were reported, Hickman said. Crews knocked the fire down by 5:13 a.m.

A house on the property is located uphill from the shop and was not damaged by the fire.

Four engines and 20 firefighters responded to the scene, Hickman said.

— David Smigelski

Share This Story