Details revealed in attempted murder trial

David Duwayne Williams wept at his attempted murder trial Tuesday as his ex-girlfriend testified that her attempts to end the relationship resulted in a violent attack.

Jennifer Smith spoke quickly in low tones in Jackson County Circuit Court as she described the mid-April assault that left her beaten and unconscious and two other men suffering bleeding from stab wounds.

"Him putting his hands around my throat is the last thing I remember," said Smith, taking slow steadying breaths between questions.

Williams, 37, has pleaded not guilty to two counts each of attempted murder and second-degree assault, as well as charges of second-degree kidnapping, coercion and fourth-degree domestic assault.

Smith said she let Williams in the house in the 300 block of Orr Drive where she'd been staying for about a week. It was about 8 p.m. on April 12, she said.

"He was begging me to come home," she said. "I said it was over ... he needed to go."

Smith said when she told Williams it was over, he attacked her and the other two men who were in the house at the time. Chief Deputy District Attorney Beth Heckert said Williams then kidnapped Smith and headed north on Interstate 5.

Norman Tyler Boyd, who lives nearby in the rural Central Point neighborhood, was visiting the night of the incident. Boyd testified he heard the couple fighting in the kitchen while he was washing up in the bathroom. Boyd told them to settle down and things seemed calmer, he said. But minutes later Boyd heard Smith screaming and when he left the bathroom he saw Smith "covered in blood," kneeling on the kitchen floor, he said.

"She was screaming at me to get out of the house," Boyd said.

Boyd said he went to look for John Davis Jr., who lived at the residence, when Williams attacked, stabbing him twice in the upper torso.

Davis testified he was asleep in his bedroom at the home when "somebody came through the door and began stabbing me in the chest."

Davis said he threw his "big and bald-headed" attacker off of him and headed into a bathroom only to be attacked again, this time from behind.

Smith said Williams called friends as he was driving away with her, telling them he'd beaten her up and had "stabbed two guys to death."

Smith told investigators that Williams took her to Canyonville and dropped her off there. Friends helped her get medical treatment for cuts and bruises on her face at a hospital in Roseburg, she said.

"My eye was swollen shut, and I'm pretty sure my nose was broken," Smith said.

Boyd and Davis were transported to a local hospital and remained there for several days.

Boyd said he suffered a punctured lung and his stab wounds took four months to heal. Davis said he still suffers from injuries to his hip as a result of the attack.

Detectives were able to track Williams' white pickup from the Gold Hill area to Table Rock Road. The Medford police SWAT team arrested Williams at his home there at about 2:30 a.m. on April 13.

Williams told police he had gone to the Orr Drive home to talk to Smith, but told investigators that he couldn't remember anything that happened there, police said.

Williams has remained in the Jackson County Jail on $300,000 bail. The trial resumes today.

Reach reporter Sanne Specht at 541-776-4497 or e-mail

Share This Story