Child playing with lighter caused Medford fire, officials say

A child playing with a cigarette lighter caused the fire that tore through an east Medford townhome development Wednesday night, leaving eight units uninhabitable.

Fire officials said in a press release today that crews remained at Barnett Townhomes, 1868 E. Barnett Road, this morning to make sure the fire was out.

No one was injured in the blaze, which was reported at 8 p.m. Wednesday, although the resident of one townhouse was treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire was reported at unit 45 at 8 p.m., and about 50 firefighters eventually responded. Fire officials estimated that total damage was about $150,000.

Fire officials urged people to ensure that matches and lighters are kept out of reach of children.

— Staff reports

Correction: The original version of this story incorrectly used the word "matches" in the headline.

Share This Story