Blue-green algae levels prompt warning at Diamond Lake

People now are advised to steer clear of water contact at Diamond Lake after water tests there show a potentially unhealthy bloom of blue-green algae at one of Oregon's most popular fishing lakes.

The state Department of Human Services issued its volunteer advisory this morning after tests showed potentially dangerous levels of the cyanobacteria that has been the bane of Oregon lakes in recent years.

People are advised to avoid contact with the water and not to ingest droplets.

The lake is off Highway 138 in eastern Douglas County.

Exposure to toxins can produce symptoms of numbness, tingling and dizziness that can lead to difficulty breathing or heart problems and require immediate medical attention. Symptoms of skin irritation, weakness, diarrhea, nausea, cramps and fainting should also receive medical attention if they persist or worsen. Children and pets are particularly susceptible.

— Mark Freeman

Share This Story